Little bird?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROCKIT

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just found this on the side of the main road near me.

bird3_zps46f77e81.jpg

bird2_zpsb7a8fe29.jpg

bird1_zps2a2e1af1.jpg

bird4_zps67200da2.jpg

It's quite small and very yellow and of course dead!
It's quite obviously a finch of some sort but it is so yellow.
Strange that it has plain red ring on its leg.

Anybody know what it is?

Last edited:
Looks very much like a Yellowhammer

dont throw away, remove ring before dispoal, inform rspb and give them the details they require as it is a data ring

It's a whole ring. no markings on it.

I've done a bit of searching tonight and come up with not a lot other than captive birds generally have a plain ring just for identification purposes.
I'd be amazed if it was a canary!
Perhaps it's a cross breed.

I have to admit to being amazed at how yellow it is though.

I'd be amazed if it was a canary!

So would I, especially as I know it's a Yellowhammer. Once you've seen one you'll always recognise them.

They're beautiful birds, and quite rare these days. I know of only one place near where we live where I'm sure to see them.

They're even rarer now that one's dead

So would I, especially as I know it's a Yellowhammer. Once you've seen one you'll always recognise them.

They're beautiful birds, and quite rare these days. I know of only one place near where we live where I'm sure to see them.

I get a regular breeding pair in my garden here every year ... really pretty but shy little birds. Not seen them yet this year although they usually arrive in Spring. I wonder if they migrate across to France for the winter as we feed the birds daily and all the Tits and Finches seem to stay around ?

Yes it's a yellow hammer. Not seen any around here for years.

I'm no expert on bird numbers but they are still relatively common around here on open farm land (Somerset Wilts North Dorset).

You won't necessarily see them closeup but they sit on telegraph wires and post and sing:

"LITTLE-BIT-OF-BREAD AND-A-PIECE-OF-CHEEEEEEEESE"

Unmistakeable!!

I'm no expert on bird numbers but they are still relatively common around here on open farm land (Somerset Wilts North Dorset).

You won't necessarily see them closeup but they sit on telegraph wires and post and sing:

"LITTLE-BIT-OF-BREAD AND-A-PIECE-OF-CHEEEEEEEESE"

Unmistakeable!!
Perhaps thats where pargyle's going wrong - needs to put this on his bird table for them :D

Not a Yellowhammer.

I'm with jenkinsbrynmair, not a yellow hammer. Bill too heavy, too much yellow, shorter in the body, "lizard" patterning on back, no eye stripes; only the head and chest of a cock yellowhammer are bright yellow.... could be a canary variety or a rare winter migrant that will need some time looking through the books to identify. I see Yellowhamers from my kitchen window every day, in fact there are several pairs there right now. keep digging!

Mike

Latest posts

Back