linseed v rape

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_e

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We have two big fields of linseed just opening up about a quarter of a mile away. Clearly visible about the same distance again further away is a great mass of OSR.

Do bees like linseed? Will they fly over the linseed to get to the OSR or save their wings and go for the linseed?

Linseed is good for cricket bats but not for bees. For some reason they do not find it attractive but why I am not sure why.

Last edited:
If it yields it doesn't give much. And it is bitter tasting honey (assuming I had some linseed honey in my hive afew years ago and it wasn't something else).

Ah, thanks Rooftops. That's a shame, I was hoping not to have to worry about a rape crop...

Whoops, thanks Midland Beek - crossed posts!

does anyone know about kale as pollen/nectar source? OSR about 20miles away but kale one the next door field! shall i get the mattock out? :D
ttfn, R

does anyone know about kale as pollen/nectar source? OSR about 20miles away but kale one the next door field! shall i get the mattock out? :D
ttfn, R

Kale would normally be harvested before it flowers. If it is left to flower, likely it will be similar to OSR as both are from the same family.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back