legal stuff

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliepuff

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
If my immediate neighbours have no objections to a new bee hive, do I need to get permission from or inform the local council about my plans. Thank you.

If my immediate neighbours have no objections to a new bee hive, do I need to get permission from or inform the local council about my plans. Thank you.

Doesnt matter much if they do object but always best to be nice about it and tell them what you are going to do....They instantly visualize swarms and being attacked

Nothing to do with the council......however, if you live in a council house your area may have a rule about it but even if they dont you could be made to remove the bees if they are causing a nuisance.

In principle, no.

But if you are a tenant, (perhaps of the Council), you should carefully check the details of your tenancy agreement. There may be specific clauses that could apply.

In the future, if your bees were being complained about as creating a nuisance, the Council could get involved (whether or not you were a Council tenant). Your defence would be to show that you were behaving reasonably - keeping a 'reasonable' number of hives for the site and being a diligent, trained beekeeper (not leaving the bees to "do their own thing").

That's a great and swift response. Thanks. It is a private home in quite a rural area. Just trying to dot the i's and cross the t's. Still a lot to do.

... It is a private home in quite a rural area. Just trying to dot the i's and cross the t's. Still a lot to do.

Of course, if you were planning to run bees as a business, there's a whole other bunch of considerations.
But that isn't any part of your plans as a beginner. Because as soon as you start thinking in those terms, the situation changes.

I ensure every year my neighbours get a jar of honey...

Where are you in Sussex,Charlie? if you need help/advice I am happy to be on the end of a phone or email.

Latest posts

Back