Leaving honey in supers on for winter feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robthos

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Am just starting to think about my second winter as a beekeeper and have decided to leave the partly filled two supers on for winter feed.
Have heard it said that the bees will not go up for honey feed , they will
only go down.
Is this true ?
If so should I put one super below the brood box and one above or put both supers below the brood box ?

Any advice on this will be much appreciated - thanks.

First of all you should restrict the wintering space according you colony size.
And before that you must take care that hive has enough room to lay Winter bees.

Two supers honey for winterfood is too much and too much space when you leve them over brood box. No advantage in that style.

If you have Limited brood box with excluder, brood box alone is the best space for wintering.

Am just starting to think about my second winter as a beekeeper and have decided to leave the partly filled two supers on for winter feed.
Have heard it said that the bees will not go up for honey feed , they will
only go down.
Is this true ?
If so should I put one super below the brood box and one above or put both supers below the brood box ?

Any advice on this will be much appreciated - thanks.

Remember well the person who told you that bees won't go up for stores - then ignore most of what they say from now on as they obviously don't have a clue about beekeeping.
Too early yet IMHO to think about sorting the hive out for winter - wait until September and see what you have. If you feel the need to leave supers on - one is ample for the bees, hopefully before long they will have filled and capped one super which you can then harvest and leave the rest for the bees. If you leave a super on top, remember to remove the queen excluder. If it's still uncapped in mid September you could put it below the brood box and the bees will rearrange things to their liking - you can then remove it towards the end of winter.

Latest posts

Back