leave well alone

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyballdy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Done an inspection yesterday and in one colony found a sealed queen cell.
This was on the top of a frame in the middle,it was the only one I could find.
Now last week there were a lot of dead bees out side of this hive.At the time I thought it might be robbing/poisoning.Could it have been a failed swarm,there are not that many bees there,and I could not find a queen.Question now is remove the queen cell, or leave well alone and see what happens, or unite with one of my stronger colony's or something else.

Your description is of a supercedure cell. Leave it alone and have a look in in three weeks time*. Cross your fingers she gets mated in this grotty weather.
* You could mark the frame and have a look in a week to see if your new queen has emerged but I wouldn't. Best of luck.

you don't NEED to find queens - were there eggs present? how many frames of bees/brood do you have? how old is your queen?

:iagree: with above - sounds like a supercedure cell.

two choices - either leave alone to sort out or remove frame with cell to a nuc (supplemented by bees/brood from same or other colonies). if supercedure bees may well try again.

will go with leave alone,thanks for replys
no eggs just sealed brood 2 frames Queen was 1 year

Latest posts

Back