lease .. do you have one?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldigging

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
does anyone have a lease for an apiary or training apiary they could share with me?

thanks in advance

does anyone have a lease for an apiary or training apiary they could share with me?

thanks in advance

I have had written agreements with land owners in the past for keeping food producing stock on their land.
Basically the land owner will be savvy enough to write in a clause to enable them to end any such agreement forthwith with no time limit, or days of grace, and no compensation.

Moving 50 sheep at less than a days notice is bad enough... moving 50 colonies of bees a different matter!!!

Even when placing your bees and equipment in someones nice little orchard be prepared.When they demand "all the honey" it is time to move your bees.

Sorry to be so negative but our CBKA group put in a lot of time and effort into what was purportedly a "community orchard" site for a training apiary, to discover that the "lease holders" it seems, just wanted us to clear the land for them.

Best advice before even setting foot on the land would be to get a solicitor involved in any " lease" agreement.... even though it may not give you any rights whatsoever.

Other option is to buy your own land... freehold!

Yeghes da

In my experience, most landowners work the traditional way ie their word is their bond and so no written agreements exist. Even my last clubs' training apiary was done this way. To have the best chance of success, make sure your intended site is well away from the public, livestock and has vehicular access. Everything is hunky dory until you have a nasty hive and I mean a real nasty hive and the last words you want to hear is "Get em off my land" as moving them immediately isn't going to happen as ICH says.

In my experience, most landowners work the traditional way ie their word is their bond and so no written agreements exist. Even my last clubs' training apiary was done this way. To have the best chance of success, make sure your intended site is well away from the public, livestock and has vehicular access. Everything is hunky dory until you have a nasty hive and I mean a real nasty hive and the last words you want to hear is "Get em off my land" as moving them immediately isn't going to happen as ICH says.

In our case it was sheep and the land in Surrey was sold to a developer.... who the left the land fallow for six years whilst getting planning approval!!

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back