Even "good" beesuits have problems

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
At a recent training apiary visit one of the attendees had a couple of bees find a way inside his veil and one stung him to announce it's presence. Expecting to find an improperly secured zip/Velcro flap under the chin surprisingly this was not the case. Instead the access point turned out to be the junction of the zips behind the neck had been sewn leaving a gap between the ends of the zips. Nothing a couple of inches of gaffer tape couldn't temporarily sort out but not a problem anyone present had encountered before.

On my BBwear suit there is a velcro fastening over this area to ensure it never becomes a problem
I've not studied BB suits but all the various suits I've owned only have one zip that went right round the veil/neck Seeing a joint behind the neck was a new one on me 🤔

StBk usually have the two part zips on the professional range although I'm sure there's a velcro pad under them to seal any gap. Out currently so can't check.

I bought a couple of stbk professional suits and they do have the velcro where the zips join.Great suit for the price when they were in the sale.

How do you know it was a good 1 then😉
StBk usually have the two part zips on the professional range although I'm sure there's a velcro pad under them to seal any gap. Out currently so can't check.

Knowing the guy with the problem suit I wouldn't expect him to buy economy standard suits. Next time I see him I'll enquire what make/source he used.🤔
Having bought cheap and not so cheap suits/jackets with single all round zips over the years i can't see the logic of using a two zip fastening. It makes more work for manufacturing and creates the risk of the gap under consideration.

Having bought cheap and not so cheap suits/jackets with single all round zips over the years
I avoid single all round zips, a mentee of mine had a stb one and it lasted 3 weeks. Not fully the fault of the suit but the fault of the struggle to do up the zip, due to one hand that had a previous permanent injury. The slider puller opened up and suit became unusable. Not only that the bees have a habit of burrowing through the front gap unless you use tape or a piece of foam.

Having bought cheap and not so cheap suits/jackets with single all round zips over the years i can't see the logic of using a two zip fastening
to be honest, I have seen loads of suits over the years from cheap and nasty, cheap but ok through to 'top quality' and expensive I can only recall one fleabay cheapo that had a single all round zip

Our S----ty suits have two zips & due to weight of the hood can peel apart the velcro covering the gap where they meet at the back.
I have had a couple of stings to my head as a result, but as people say, "no sense no feeling ".

My son has a castle farm suit. Great bit of kit, this has a two part zip, but a very strong velcro on the inside and outside of the join. Likewise the front has two very strong velcro bits, so as long as you do up the zip properly. The patches would be an easy add on to a suit of this is a possible entry point.

My son has a castle farm suit. Great bit of kit, this has a two part zip, but a very strong velcro on the inside and outside of the join. Likewise the front has two very strong velcro bits, so as long as you do up the zip properly. The patches would be an easy add on to a suit of this is a possible entry point.
I'll second that. My castle suit has lasted me well - I literally can't fault it. It's the velcro over those zip areas that's the Icing on the cake. It looks and feels very secure.

I would imagine a single zip tab to be a right pain,especially in the truck trying to remove the hood once the bees have calmed down.
I'm not sure what your meaning. In all my single zip suits (and current Lyson jacket) the zip is double ended. In normal use both zipper sliders park above my shoulders and the hood lifts over the face while remaining attached at the rear. To actually remove the hood for washing etc both zipper sliders are run round together to the disconnection end. The same type of zip is often encountered in long style outdoor jackets such as are often used by horseriders and similar.
As to opening the hood in a truck after the bees have calmed down. I think some queen replacement might be considered if this is a regular incident

Latest posts

Back