Leaking Fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B Special

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
The Bees where out for the first time in ages today. Great to see. Very mild here up in Dundrod during the afternoon and then the temp just drops and drops. However, I checked my one and only hive. Had put some Fondant on a while back and on the last inspection some of it appears to have melted or gone real soft and has dripped down into the brood box and down through the mesh underneath and onto the ground. Should I remove this ?

The Bees where out for the first time in ages today. Great to see. Very mild here up in Dundrod during the afternoon and then the temp just drops and drops. However, I checked my one and only hive. Had put some Fondant on a while back and on the last inspection some of it appears to have melted or gone real soft and has dripped down into the brood box and down through the mesh underneath and onto the ground. Should I remove this ?

Sounds like you didn't have it sealed in a cling film wrap or in a poly bag with slashes in them or in an inverted tub ... usual methods of feeding fondant ... I suspect that the temperature fluctuations have led to an excess of moisture in the hive and it is this that has resulted in the fondant 'melting'.

What sort of hive have you got and how is it configured ? Insulation etc.

Thanks folks. It's a WBC. Several layers of cut sections of carpet is my insulation !! The fondant is in a plastic container. The way I have applied it and the changing temperatures I guess are the reasons for the mess. A beginner learning the hard way :thanks:

A beginner learning the hard way :thanks:

Well ... you won't get any criticism from me !

Carpet is not great as insulation although it was used historically for many years in the absence of more modern insulation materials. You might consider investing a fiver in a bit of Celotex/Kingspan from your local builders merchants to replace the carpet layers which tend to retain moisture ... even in the closed environment of the WBC they can wick up atmospheric moisture.

You won't have done any harm to the bees - they will clean up any dribbles of fondant on the frames but I would echo the comments above about cleaning up any residue under the hive to detract rodents etc. from getting interested.

Sounds like you didn't have it sealed in a cling film wrap or in a poly bag with slashes in them or in an inverted tub ... usual methods of feeding fondant ... I suspect that the temperature fluctuations have led to an excess of moisture in the hive and it is this that has resulted in the fondant 'melting'.
The usual reason given for wrapping the fondant (or the fondant's container) in cling-film is to prevent it from drying-out. That may indeed be true - but the slashed film also prevents the absorption of moisture as mentioned above.

Many of us have discovered this snafu the hard way - or rather the very droopy and gooey way. :hairpull:

LJ

I hope they don't like fondant. They miss nothing.

imagejpg1_zps462a094f.jpg

Carpet ... tend to retain moisture ... even in the closed environment of the WBC ....

You won't have done any harm to the bees - they will clean up any dribbles of fondant on the frames but I would echo the comments above about cleaning up any residue under the hive to detract rodents etc. from getting interested.

If you put the carpet inside a plastic bag you'll stop it absorbing moisture, and it could be that moisture which has made your fondant go runny.

Latest posts

Back