Laying workers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeb123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Is it common for some brood of laying workers to not develop correctly?

How do you mean not correctlly. The brood is from unfertile eggs, so drones emerge, but smaller. And when you clean frame from such brood, the cells are worker size cells and when real queen after lay in these cells it will be normal worker bee brood. These cells are not widened as usual drone cells.

Often get abandoned drone brood which dies from starvation and begins to rot looking and smelling like EFB (the secondary bacteria that cause the smell are common to both)

that's what I was hoping masterbk. Is it a concern or just let them deal with it until I get this hive queen right

Ok well I think one of my hives is q- and the workers are laying. Obviously all drone brood and many cells with multiple eggs. Today I saw open cells with rotting drones inside and some not fully developed and left. I just wanted to know if this is common in laying workers and if it's a concern that there's rotting brood about

Ok well I think one of my hives is q- and the workers are laying. Obviously all drone brood and many cells with multiple eggs. Today I saw open cells with rotting drones inside and some not fully developed and left. I just wanted to know if this is common in laying workers and if it's a concern that there's rotting brood about

No...none of this is common....when did you last look in.....I mean before this last time?
How many bees are in this colony? Stores?

I looked in 7 days ago there was no capped brood at this stage only on looking today with all the capped brood being drone confirmed there is an issue. Stores are fine and around brood one super nearly fully capped and another over the top with fresh foundation. It's got a good amount of bees, covering 8 frames 14x12

A colony with laying workers in this state it is probably not worth trying to save. Best to shake the bees off the combs several yards away after removing all evidence of the hive from its site. Any non laying workers flying back will be accepted by adjacent hives.

If someone want to play can add frame of open worker brood, and after 7 days another.. It took me 3 frames once till they rear some queen. After I replace it and save colony. Faster is to shake out. Sometimes 2 frames are sufficient.

Ok well I think one of my hives is q- and the workers are laying. Obviously all drone brood and many cells with multiple eggs. Today I saw open cells with rotting drones inside and some not fully developed and left. I just wanted to know if this is common in laying workers and if it's a concern that there's rotting brood about (+It's got a good amount of bees, covering 8 frames 14x12 )

That's not normal, there should be enough bees to cover that brood.

Can you take a photo or two?

Can you get somebody nearby to take a look?

A colony with laying workers in this state it is probably not worth trying to save. Best to shake the bees off the combs several yards away after removing all evidence of the hive from its site. Any non laying workers flying back will be accepted by adjacent hives.

I've got a laying worker hive which is slowly filling with drone broad. I was told to kill it with petrol - which I'm not going to do because I've got it on a organic farm.

I did suggest shaking it out but was told there is a risk to the laying workers going into a working hive and attacking the queen.

Is this a real risk?

I can't see how to add pics can someone help please?

Look at your message box when you post either a reply or put up a new thread. At the top is a paperclip, (it's next to the smiley face)
Click on that and you have a choice to either upload picture from your computer or a URL.

I've got a laying worker hive which is slowly filling with drone broad. I was told to kill it with petrol - which I'm not going to do because I've got it on a organic farm.

I did suggest shaking it out but was told there is a risk to the laying workers going into a working hive and attacking the queen.

Is this a real risk?

No.
You can even unite them with another colony if it is a strong one.
What you CAN'T do is put a new queen into the box.

Last edited:
Thanks ericA. Pics won't upload for some reason I'll try again tomorrow

Latest posts

Back