laying a holly hedge

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I have to cut a hedge back around an overgrown apiary and the hedge is mainly holly

it has previously been cut back to 3ft but the holly has coppiced and now produced multiple stems 8ft-12ft high off the old cut trunk

it is possible to lay Holly? On laid hedges around my old village holly always appeared to be left as a single tree in a laid hedgerow...any idea why, was do you think just to Prickley to lay or another reason?

Holly can be laid... (no double entendres please)...I have done it.. but it's likely to tear..

I have to cut a hedge back around an overgrown apiary and the hedge is mainly holly

it has previously been cut back to 3ft but the holly has coppiced and now produced multiple stems 8ft-12ft high off the old cut trunk

it is possible to lay Holly? On laid hedges around my old village holly always appeared to be left as a single tree in a laid hedgerow...any idea why, was do you think just to Prickley to lay or another reason?

Whilst holly will lay the stems tend to break rather than split like normal thorn hedges - you might be better just to clip the ends of the stems like you would a privett or conifer hedge - you will find that, over time, the remaining buds on the stems throw out other shoots and you end up with a really dense holly hedge that nothing will get through - it's evergreen as well so tends to create a year round wind break. The more you clip back the vertical growth the more will come out at the sides - even the trunks will start to throw branches out at lower level once you start clipping the vertical stems.

...possible to lay Holly? On laid hedges around my old village holly always appeared to be left as a single tree in a laid hedgerow...any idea why, was do you think just to Prickley to lay or another reason?
Hedge laying tends to be easier when the branches are leafless, which doesn't really apply to holly. Natural growth has few long verticals but your coppicing might have enough. Can be a bit brittle once the stems are thumb size, breaks more readily than the usual hedging plants like hazel or hawthorn. Have seen a few laid holly bushes in a hedge though; it can be done but an all holly laid hedge would be a challenge. Otherwise, if it's all holly, regular trimming can make a really dense evergreen wall of a hedge. I think Hidcote has some but probably many others.

Go for a lady laurel or saucy privet. Those prickles are sore...

I planted a holly hedge some weeks ago , it seems to have survived the bitter weather. Each plant is a pot grown whip ie one stalk 15 to18 inches high. The growth isn't vertical the whips are hanging over crescent shaped .
I wonder weather to start some rudimentary layering by pegging them horizontal or pruning half/two thirds their length to encourage a thick base growth?
Holly is slow growing by nature and I wonder if the pruning will check rather than promote the effect I'm looking for!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As an alternative to legging them horizontal, it might be worth training them at a 45 degree angle to encourage growth of lateral shoots: similar effects from both options I would think.

Would that include pruning the tips to encourage side shooting ?
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As an alternative to legging them horizontal, it might be worth training them at a 45 degree angle to encourage growth of lateral shoots: similar effects from both options I would think.

Try googling for South West England pattern of hedge laying (or similar) - also called pleach and stake hedging - but ideally you want the whips to grow a bit (regardless, you want the roots to establish before doing anything)

Hi,
I believe the main reason why you see holly trees left to grow tall in hedges is that it was used to feed over-wintering stock. It's one of the few reliable evergreen trees in the UK which is not poisonous to animals. Sort of the opposite side of the reason why you see old yew trees a lot in church yards :)

Cheers

Nick

Hi,
I believe the main reason why you see holly trees left to grow tall in hedges is that it was used to feed over-wintering stock. It's one of the few reliable evergreen trees in the UK which is not poisonous to animals. Sort of the opposite side of the reason why you see old yew trees a lot in church yards :)

Cheers

Nick

Yes I remember that now

Thanks all, i think i will go for the easy option, cutting....hedge laying brittle holly while wearing a Bee suit mught just be beyond the pale

Latest posts

Back