Can a Superceedured Queen Swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shudderdun

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I checked one of my colonies for the first time this year three weeks ago, I clearly spotted the marked Q, she was laying strong, lots of BIAS despite her being over three years old.
I also noticed what I would consider to be a single open superceedure QC (no sign of the lid cap) on a centre bottom of a frame. Thinking there was possibly a VQ in there I closed everything back up.
Three weeks on it was my intention to inspect the same colonie yesterday, however at 1.30 the sky was full of bees, at first I thought it was a mating flight, it did appear ? to be centered around this same colonie, then I noticed a diminishing swarm on the branch of a nearby tree.
I later inspected this colonie, I couldnt spot the old Q, I was also expecting the single super to be light but there was still lots of store in it (supered three weeks ago as the BB was getting full)
I know I have gone around the world with this but I just wanted to give a good outline.
So ---- my question is, is it not unusual for the old Q to swarm, I was under the impression that if a colonie decides to superceed the bees pop the old Q off ?
Thank you.

Mating flights can gather on tree branches for a little pow-wow before returning to the hive (not the queen obviously, but the bees that went with her for the first 50 yards out of excitement).

I think they like having a bit of fresh-air and a natter about what a lovely young queen she is and good luck to her, before getting back to work.

So that may have been what you saw - it matches the description of a "diminishing swarm on the branch of a nearby tree". A proper swarm, when leaving a bivouac, would make a loud roar, so if you didn't hear that, that's another clue it wasn't a swarm.

As to whether a single supersedure cell can ever lead to a swarm, we are talking about honey bees, so anything is possible, but I think it would certainly not be the norm, and not my first guess.

Last edited:
I've seen the entourage following a virgin on her mating flight ... they usually only go a short distance with her and then return to the vicinity of the hive and hang around ... not seen them descend and land en-masse in a bush though, when I've seen them they have come back to the hive and clustered on the front of the hive.

Thank you all for your comments, Boston Bee, your post was interesting, right or wrong, it does seem to fit. Will keep a close eye on this colony, see what transpires, Thanks.

Spot the queen coming back from a mating flight.
PM me if you want to know when to look

At same time in your picture the hive makes daily cleansing flight.

Quees make mating flights at same time a'clock at afternoon as workers do cleansing flight.
When so happens, it is nothing " mating swarm".

I can see, when the queen is on mating flight, when I have looked into the nuc. But I have not met any commitee waiting for the queen. I see again mating happened when I see the sign in her abdomen.

But after all kind of mystery is not bad in beekeeping. It makes a dull day happy.

Thank you all for your comments, Boston Bee, your post was interesting, right or wrong, it does seem to fit. Will keep a close eye on this colony, see what transpires, Thanks.

No problem. I have only seen a "mating swarm" a couple of times, but yours does sound like one. I made the mistake of collecting one in a nuc box once, before I realised what they were. At the time they just didn't feel right, and they almost immediately left the box and went home. You should have seen the look of disdain they gave me.

I've seen the entourage following a virgin on her mating flight ... they usually only go a short distance with her and then return to the vicinity of the hive and hang around ... not seen them descend and land en-masse in a bush though, when I've seen them they have come back to the hive and clustered on the front of the hive.
9933E267-A231-4937-97C5-551C2B41D69C.png
like this

Exactly, love the hive graphics by the way ... as someone who can only draw straight lines (and even my paint by numbers efforts looked like something Picasso had painted !) I am in awe of anything that requires some level of artistic talent.

Back