late swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stenibee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
one of my hives swarmed today. managed to recover it in nuc box. inspected 4 out of 8 hive and not found any queen cells. will do other 4 tomorrow. stung on arse for my troubles. the joys:

There is the (fairly) remote possibility that it may be an old queen leaving with some workers after what started out as a supercedure. The sting, wherever it may have occurred, is all part of beekeeping; suit up better next time?

Sounds like a bum deal to me :)
Had to be said!
E

will that mean there will be a virgin queen in one of the hive or will it be queen less?

Thanks for the swarm warning. Me thinks there is going to be a lot of late swarming this year. As a matter of interest how large was the swarm?

will that mean there will be a virgin queen in one of the hive or will it be queen less?

When a colony swarms, it leaves behind a viable queen cell, or another virgin queen, normally.

It would only be queenless if the colony absconded for some reason.

If it were an old queen, leaving after supercedure, a mated laying queen would be left behind - bees are not so stupid as to get rid of the old queen without a replacement being present - in that situation.

Latest posts

Back