Late Flowering Plants For Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
My bees have been bringing lot's of yellow pollen lately and also orange which had me stumped, i have found out what the orange is from now.
I took these pictures on Saturday of the bees in the garden gathering large amounts of Orange pollen from Dalia and Lanaria which i think are a member of the Toadflax family, they self seed and the bees love them so i have stuck this post up in case anyone wanting to plant bee friendly flowers to plant some of these flowers to provide there bees with a different variety of winter pollen other than Ivy or if you do not have Ivy in your area.
Here is a few pictures i took and anyone feel free to stick names of any late pollen providing plants up.
Cheers
Steve.

IMG_3454_zpswhnohm0x.jpg

IMG_3448_zpsnzfv1csc.jpg

IMG_3444_zpsysttnh2o.jpg

Nice pics!
If you have allotments nearby, there's usually a fair amount of Dahlias grown. Fuchsia goes on late into the season and Asters too.

Nice pics!
If you have allotments nearby, there's usually a fair amount of Dahlias grown. Fuchsia goes on late into the season and Asters too.

No allotments Steve this is a place near a farm in the middle of nowhere, there is Fuchsia planted in the garden but i will look into Asters.. ;)

My pink and blue asters are busy when they are in the sunshine. I have a huge swathe of white ones planted in dappled shade and they are visited any time there is no rain.
Linaria is a favourite of firman's :)
If you are planting Dahlias plant the simple single flowered type

My phacelia is humming with honey bees...... Sounds a bit rude!
This is third crop I have planted this year. Great plant, blue pollen, nice smell. I am a fan, can plough in as green manure. Looks pretty. Flowers quickly, if you plant now then really early spring flowers.
E

They were great pics! - Could see them yesterday but not today for some reason.
My dahlias also v popular with the bees. Some bees with what looked like orange berets or helmets on which I thought was dahlia pollen.

I don't have a clue what happened to the pictures maybe admin can shed some light, i have tried to upload them again a different way lets see how it works, and thank you everyone for your plant suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_3444.JPG
    IMG_3444.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3448.JPG
    IMG_3448.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3454.JPG
    IMG_3454.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 17
My phacelia is humming with honey bees...... Sounds a bit rude!
This is third crop I have planted this year. Great plant, blue pollen, nice smell. I am a fan, can plough in as green manure. Looks pretty. Flowers quickly, if you plant now then really early spring flowers.
E

So the blue/purple pollen which bees are bringing now is phacelia ?

Great,
Have sown them 3 months ago and they flower now. Visited mostly by bumblebees and wild bees though.

So the blue/purple pollen which bees are bringing now is phacelia ?

Great,
Have sown them 3 months ago and they flower now. Visited mostly by bumblebees and wild bees though.

here is a photo of the phacelia pollen.

Attachments

• DSC_0153.JPG
    DSC_0153.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0136 (2).JPG
    DSC_0136 (2).JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
here is a photo of the phacelia pollen.

First bee refused to smile at you, or acknowledge you for that matter, but I like the second photo (apart from the date)
Nice to get sunshine in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back