Last sting of the year and some learning.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nordicul

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives

Hi Guys

Just sharing this pic of my hopefully last and best yet sting of my first beekeeping year.sting.jpg

I think though I've finally figured it out...I only get stung when i'm not wearing the bee suit!

Some other learning:

1 On a pain rating scale of 1-10 , 10 being the worst, they rate:
Around the eye 8, Cheek 7, Nose 6, Ear 5, Ankles 4, Head 3, Hands 2.

2 A bee suit without wellington boots is an incomplete suit.

3 Irish black bees harbor a Japanese Kamikaze gene.

4 They don't like their front of hive being clipped.

5 They definitely don't like their front entrance being messed with.

6 They definitely, definitely don't like their larder being messed with.

7 Bees don't understand or reciprocate kindness.

8 Bees can hold a grudge.

9 Bees know where you live and the Kamikaze will get you there.

10 Doing anything quickly around bees without a bee suit on is never quickly enough!

Perhaps you've had your own learning experience with bees you'd like to share?

Nordicul.

Re-queen them with a nice Irish black bee queen.

Although in some cases problems with regards aggression can be attributed to the person handling them.

Last edited:
A) Try really hard NOT to knock three hives over at once! And when you do then don't just stand there wondering what will happen now!
B)If you smell almonds then don't look round to see what has happened, just start running because it might be because of (A) above
No bee suit is sting proof if (A)above has happened and is closely followed by (B)
E

I can't imagine getting stung in the eye I bet that hurt! my girls like necks and ankles not all the time .
I did have a volcano erupt on me this hive has calmed down now for some reason.

Hi Guys

Just sharing this pic of my hopefully last and best yet sting of my first beekeeping year.View attachment 16169

I think though I've finally figured it out...I only get stung when i'm not wearing the bee suit!

Nordicul.
I also figured out quite early that I only got stung when I didn't have a suit on. Also thinking I didn't need a smoker as I was only doing a quick task didn't work out either. :rolleyes:
I mow the grass with the suit and wellies on but no veil. I can actually cut 98% of the grass without the veil but when I am mowing right next to the hive, I put it on just in case.
When I pull the roof of the hive off there are a couple of bees that make straight for my veil in the vain hope that they can get me in the face. they know where to aim for....

Hi Mod,
Yes requeening is my priority for them next year...my task will be to find a "nice" Coleenie QB.

I'm sure I bear some responsibility for there defensive behaviour but I've been as careful with them as I could. The other hive is no problem and gave me a comparison.

From day one the "troublesome " girls who came to me as an over wintered Nuc have been slow to develop suffered badly from chalk brood, they were very slow to draw out comb or fill it. They also "disliked" smoke. I even tried using a cover cloth to inspect them. They were though very hygienic and never had high mite counts....they were treated with Apiguard. They were quicker though than the other hive to build up Winter stores. Both hives are now tucked up for Winter.

One hive though will be getting a change of Monach next year!
Nordicul

I also figured out quite early that I only got stung when I didn't have a suit on. Also thinking I didn't need a smoker as I was only doing a quick task didn't work out either. :rolleyes:
I mow the grass with the suit and wellies on but no veil. I can actually cut 98% of the grass without the veil but when I am mowing right next to the hive, I put it on just in case.
When I pull the roof of the hive off there are a couple of bees that make straight for my veil in the vain hope that they can get me in the face. they know where to aim for....

I am the other way around veil is a must when mowing the lawn. Flight paths everywhere and I hate getting one in my hair inadvertently.

Nordicul, For the future, invest in a small bag of frozen peas and antihistamine cream for those eventualities it does help.

Thanks Beeno,
The eye is fine now, like you said I had used the frozen peas ,cortisone cream and also antihistamine tabs so the triple whammy did the trick.

One thing I did think about was having a mirror and scraper nerer to the hive in order to get stings out quicker, rather than my 100 yd dash to the house.....

but I have decided the bee suit is best. Prevention better than cure....

Or maybe I'll get one of these veils that cover the face and head as it was often the time factor that stopped me from putting on the full regalia...what do you think of them?

Nordicul

Thanks Beeno,
The eye is fine now, like you said I had used the frozen peas ,cortisone cream and also antihistamine tabs so the triple whammy did the trick.

One thing I did think about was having a mirror and scraper nerer to the hive in order to get stings out quicker, rather than my 100 yd dash to the house.....

but I have decided the bee suit is best. Prevention better than cure....

Or maybe I'll get one of these veils that cover the face and head as it was often the time factor that stopped me from putting on the full regalia...what do you think of them?

Nordicul

I go for the full beesuit these days anywhere near the hives. The novelty of getting stung has worn off!

Get yourself 1 of those sherriff fencing type hoods, ideal for just slipping on when working around hives or going through nucs and small hives in the garden

probably best to be 100 yds away from the hives if you can't immediately scrape the sting off with a thumbnail.

Of my first year I have yet to be stung. It’s a little disconcerting not knowing if i am allergic. I seem to recall a good many years ago stepping on a bee barefoot, which hurt to buggery. Alas, bring on next year.

Of my first year I have yet to be stung. It’s a little disconcerting not knowing if i am allergic. I seem to recall a good many years ago stepping on a bee barefoot, which hurt to buggery. Alas, bring on next year.

Get it done as soon as.
I don't get stung very often but a few every year should be your aim, IMO.

Latest posts

Back