Landing Board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is really not good enough. We go to all of the expense of buying and constructing a landing board to facilitate a dignified approach for tired, nectar-rich bees and they just ignore it! I suggest that those so affected draw a teensy-weensy diagram, (maybe with approach vector lines) clearly illustrating the technique. Post it throught the hole at the bottom of the hive (a landing board may be used to guide the insertion).

I seem to remember, and don't quote me on this because I can't remember the source, that bees don't actually need a landing board, but if they do have one, it is used more to take off than to land.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? It did seem counter-intuitive at the time!

Mostly other way around with mine.

I like to watch them all landing, some skidding in out of control, like tired fighter aces returning to a WWII Aircraft Carrier.

Wouldn't be without one.
:party:

Does the landing board assist with robbing etc?:confused:

Landing Board/Porch on Dadant Blatts are very useful - they are a precise fit for high sided crownboards which mean you can block entrance when snow on ground but still allow access in and out through the hole.

Back