Labeling question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to create a new label for my honey.. found a lovely wild flower pic with no copyright claims. But other bee keepers say not suitable as poppy on it also amongst other wild flowers and bees don't get nectar from poppy.. say I am not complying with regs! I say bees use the pollen from that as well as nectar from rest..
Opinions please.

Poppycock. - unless you are implying (with words) that it's a single source honey. Ask you local trading standards for an opinion.

I had a similar experience years ago, something about any floral picture implies the contents are as a result of that crop. With more than one flower, say a picture of a meadow, I don't see how there could be an issue but who knows these days.

I am not specifying, just saying Pure Sussex Honey. But thought a wild flower pic on one side of the label looked interesting..
Will take these thoughts back , thank you..

Yes, complaints from member that my pic showed cornflowers too, and comment was... 'when did you last see a cornflower.
Have contacted Trading Standards to see if I am conflict with regulations... waiting to see..

I have had people say to me to not even put 'Pure' in the name or even the county on the logic of 'if you are less than 5k from the county border how do you know the honey came from your county'.

I do think some overthink it (maybe paranoid about being 'done' by trading standards), next they will say to remove any pictures of bess as that bee did not contribute to the honey so it s false advertising ;P

Please let us know the result, their interpretations of the 'standard' seem to vary all around the country.

Just to follow up on the OP's original query, which included labelling for cosmetic products, I've finally found the BBKA News issues with the cosmetics recipes and law & labelling requirements:

Sep 2019 - Lip balm
Oct 2019 - Body butter bars
Nov 2019 - Honey bath bombs & and an article about Selling Hive Product Cosmetics and the law
Dec 2019 - Handmade soap & an article about how Brexit affects the law for selling cosmetics.

Latest posts

Back