Labeling question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donna w

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,

I'm looking at making other types of bee products and I'm considering making a small business from it.
As some items will be food related and possibly cosmetic they may need my address like the honey.

I dont particularly like advertising my home address everywhere so is it acceptable to have a po box address on the labels of honey and the other food products?

An email address would be enough, it's just a means of contact.

No .. that's not right the Food Labelling Regulations are quite specific:

the name of the food
a ‘best before’ or ‘use by’ date (or instructions on where to find it)
any necessary warnings
net quantity information
a list of ingredients (if there is more than 1)
the name and address of the UK business responsible for the information on the food or, if the business is not established in the UK, the name and address of the importer
the country of origin, if required
the lot number or use-by date
any special storage conditions
instructions for use or cooking, if necessary

These only apply if you stray beyond the 'Farm gate sales'.. Once you start selling as a business or via third parties you need to meet the requirements of the regulations.

Cosmetics are even more onerous I'm afraid ... not many people are prepared to jump through the hoops of testing required before you can sell any products that are used on the skin.

Once you have read through this lot you might think again:

https://www.ctpa.org.uk/legislation

BBKA News had a series of articles about making various cosmetics from bee products. They gave a huge amount of detail about the labelling requirements and the official testing that was required.

Enough to make me think no way was I ever going down that route!

I think it was over last summer, but I can never log in to search BBKA News so can't tell you exactly which issues it was. Maybe someone else can remember?

No .. that's not right the Food Labelling Regulations are quite specific:

the name of the food
a ‘best before’ or ‘use by’ date (or instructions on where to find it)
any necessary warnings
net quantity information
a list of ingredients (if there is more than 1)
the name and address of the UK business responsible for the information on the food or, if the business is not established in the UK, the name and address of the importer
the country of origin, if required
the lot number or use-by date
any special storage conditions
instructions for use or cooking, if necessary

These only apply if you stray beyond the 'Farm gate sales'.. Once you start selling as a business or via third parties you need to meet the requirements of the regulations.

Cosmetics are even more onerous I'm afraid ... not many people are prepared to jump through the hoops of testing required before you can sell any products that are used on the skin.

Once you have read through this lot you might think again:

https://www.ctpa.org.uk/legislation

Sorry Phil, it's straight from the horses mouth. We had two officials give a talk on the subject and the message was 'a means by which the producer can be contacted', whether that be an address, phone number or email address.
Also mention of not suitable for infants under 12 months is not a requirement, it's optional.
Cosmetics are very stringent, I remember VEG deciding it wasn't worth the hassle.

Last edited:
I think, like a lot bof these HMG regs it is open to local interpretations.. but the actual regulation as written down is very specific for Food regs and I understand (as a small time producer of preserves - and I made enquiries) that if it is s recognised business (i.e. Anything other than direct from producer to customer ~ and there'sl
grey areas when it comes to markets attended by the producer to sell to the public) then the food labelling regs need to be applied. I personally would not risk selling food products without a name and address. You can register a business at any physical address so you could avoid giving your home address. I dont think an email address would generally be acceptable. Honey has its own llabel requirements but as soon as you mix it with something else it defers to the more general Food Labelling Regs.

I think if your selling your honey locally to outlets most customers like the address details as most would no the area you come from.
Where as if you were distributing nationally I would possibly use an email address.
Putting your address on the label gives the customer more of a homely feel if you know what I mean.

I think if your selling your honey locally to outlets most customers like the address details as most would no the area you come from.
Where as if you were distributing nationally I would possibly use an email address.
Putting your address on the label gives the customer more of a homely feel if you know what I mean.
ng

Yes ... but the OP is not talking about honey - they are talking about honey based food and cosmetic produce which are a whole different ball game ...

Definitely done in detail this year in bbka mag
E

ng

Yes ... but the OP is not talking about honey - they are talking about honey based food and cosmetic produce which are a whole different ball game ...

Well Phil, an email would be better then eg [email protected] :calmdown: this doesn't exist

Sorry Phil!, I've been up since 5am jaring honey I'm getting a bit frazzled.

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2: Bit of a late start then !

My neighbours burglar alarm developed a fault yesterday ... went off intermittently every hour throughout the night for as long as it took them to come downstairs and switch it off ... I slept through it - 'Er indoors (a light sleeper at the best of times !) apparently - gave up at 3.00am and spent the rest of the night downstairs playing angry birds on her phone .. she looks like death warmed up today !

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2: Bit of a late start then !

My neighbours burglar alarm developed a fault yesterday ... went off intermittently every hour throughout the night for as long as it took them to come downstairs and switch it off ... I slept through it - 'Er indoors (a light sleeper at the best of times !) apparently - gave up at 3.00am and spent the rest of the night downstairs playing angry birds on her phone .. she looks like death warmed up today !

I bet she's got square eyes to Phil, phones aren't the easiest things to look at at the best of times.. Funny when you say 'Er in doors makes me think you spend most of your time out side.

I bet she's got square eyes to Phil, phones aren't the easiest things to look at at the best of times.. Funny when you say 'Er in doors makes me think you spend most of your time out side.

Mostly in the doghouse ! There's only two things wrong with me - everything I do and everything I say ...

Mostly in the doghouse ! There's only two things wrong with me - everything I do and everything I say ...
Ha ha ha faf!
Is your wife a fire sign? mine is

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Ha ha ha faf!
Is your wife a fire sign? mine is

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Working from home agreeing with you both Philip?

No we are both Cancerians but at oppoite ends, she's nearer Gemini and I'm nearer Leo - that's probably not the ideal combination ... but she's put up with me for 49 years come August 12th - Coincidentally it was the opening of the grouse season and it's been open ever since !

Working from home ? ... she locks me in the study at 7.00am and I'm allowed out at 3.00pm to go to the allotment, look at the bees and return to the doghouse !

Thank you for all of your replies.

So what I have taken from your information so far is
Cosmetics seems to be a bit of a mine field. I feel I have a lot of research to do. It may turn out its not worth it, time will tell. I will do some research of the next few weeks.
Looks like I need to get my hands in the BBKA magazine.

The honey label requirements seem a little more relaxed.
Willl it be acceptable to have a PO box and an email rather than a full address.
If so maybe this is where I will start.

The honey label requirements seem a little more relaxed.
Willl it be acceptable to have a PO box and an email rather than a full address.
If so maybe this is where I will start.

It depends on who you ask ...

This is the most basic description of what the requirements are:

http://www.thorne.co.uk/image/data/Documents/UK Honey Labelling Regulations.pdf

However, if you are only selling direct to the public and not through third party sellers, some local authorities may take a slightly more lenient view .. the key is that you must be able to be contacted from the information that is provided on the label.

This is only for HONEY .. as soon as you add anything to it that is not honey then it becomes a food product and the honey labelling regulations no longer apply.

Me ? I have my address on my honey labels.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back