Knocking up new frames?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kronkie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
When can I start assembleing them, is it warm enough now as I am under the impression that its not a good idea to leave them in a cold shed.

I knock up frames when ever, and just pop the foundation in just before it go's into the hive, this way it stays fresh and dose not warp. But depends how many you have to do.
:driving:

You can make the frames at any time. Just don't put foundation in until you need to put the frames into the hive. For that reason you need to leave off the top strip that hold the wires in place, assuming you use wired foundation of course.

Like FT I make up frames at any time ( usually over winter when I have the time). I do not put in the foundation until just before needed, then add the second bottom bar. Foundation is better handled at room temp, as it is more flexible

From mid April I keep one complete brood box of frames and foundation at the ready for swarm control. Better IMO to have it ready than to be rushing at the last minute:biggrinjester:

Latest posts

Back