killing a wasp nest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dookie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Afternoon all

I am doing a favour of a friends mum. she has a wasp nest underground in her garden. I said i will get rid of it for her. So i was just wondering if my full suit is wasp proof? My bees have never stung me through it but i dont know much about wasps.

Any ideas?

Cheers

I just treat with wasp powder killer and put plenty round enterance leave them over night for all flyers to come home then next day just dig it up did about 6 last year no probs good luck

i dig them up because my brother uses grub for fishing a good bait for chubb and barbel

Thanks for the information. I don't know how people have time for fishing though. Since I retired there aren't enough hours in the day to cover my commitments without spending time on a river bank. :) :) :)

But it saves having to "Kill the fish" as they arrive "Dead on the bank", which makes them look fresher when dropped off at the Mother-In-Laws for her tea :)

Just be very very careful as carbamates are highly toxic to fish.

Definitely a cracking fishing bait however will there be many grubs left at this time of the year. ? .
Wasps still taking bees from around the hives, so I presume there is still larva in the nests near me.

Same here.
Wasp trap didnt work (only few wasps trapped and slower than the new ones are coming in)
Didnt mind the wasps since they ate anyway only the sick bees.
But
Neighbour discovered the nest between two walls in his house. And that was the end of the vespas.
Destroyed the nest yesterday night.

Should reduce number of wasps around the hive.

Depends on how and when the nest was destroyed. You may find the opposite. Nest eradication which fails to kill all of the workers only serves to displace them and take away their carbohydrate source from within the nest forcing them to sweet feed potentially from your hive(s).

Latest posts

Back