Just wanted to share my apiary...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Weather wasn't exactly the best when I took these pics...

It's nice and sheltered, and south facing.
When the sun is low it will heat the hives (morning and evening), but when it rises and it becomes hot, the olive trees give some dappled shade, so it doesn't get too hot.

18194882_10212502373177123_5329339004772346360_n.jpg

18198580_10212502374417154_2721651202198624506_n.jpg

18199542_10212502374337152_1476892327214564125_n.jpg

18192753_10212502375377178_5512327329256177272_o.jpg

I still need to get a proper stand for them though...
I tried buying one, but oddly enough there seems to be a nationwide dearth :cuss:

I'm considering using cinder blocks instead.

What a lovely site that is . Cinder blocks and some 4x2 will last for years .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yes .... no need for purpose built stands two breeze blocks work well
Area looks like it could be full of wood flowers and herbs..... great

Couple of pot blocks at each end and some 3"x3" wooden beams, job done.

What a lovely site that is . Cinder blocks and some 4x2 will last for years .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's pretty much the idea, although I will probably use the pallet they're standing on now on top of the cinder blocks. I took it from a buildings materials supplier, so it should be able to take the weight of 2 hives.

If necessary I have two larger, stronger pallets in my garage that the tiles for my flat renovation came on.

A dream of green, trees and flowers.
Thanks for the pics

I believe these are acacias ? They already flowered here.

A dream of green, trees and flowers.
Thanks for the pics

I believe these are acacias ? They already flowered here.

That's correct, or black locust, depending on the name you prefer ;)
They're in full swing here too.

They'll be using that nectar for comb building, though. Being the first year they have a lot of wax to build. Hopefully I'll get a small crop of linden and sweet chestnut later on.

Bee envy.
Beautiful.
Thanks

Lovely! :) Just make sure you have enough space behind/ next to the hives to work easily.

Wonderful
You must be jolly happy there

Can't complain :)

... well technically I can find stuff to complain about if I want, there is something I'd prefer were different about the site, but overall I'm pretty pleased.

Lovely! :) Just make sure you have enough space behind/ next to the hives to work easily.

The space is just right for two hives in that particular position in that sense. If I were to expand the apiary I'd have to place any others on the terracing below those two, but if I were to expand I'd probably set up another apiary somewhere else. There are a few locations that are interesting.

For the moment though, I'll have to get over this first year and get some experience under my belt.

Hi Zante,
Beautiful. How far from Florence are you? I live near Varese close to Lago Maggiore.
Black locust is due soon, hopefully it stops raining and warms up...
Tom

About half an hour drive, in the hills of Mugello.

I'll probably drive past Varese going to the national Alpini reunion in Treviso.

And lots of olive trees there.
Just curious : do they produce nectar and are they pollinated by bees ?

And lots of olive trees there.
Just curious : do they produce nectar and are they pollinated by bees ?

No. They're wind pollinated and of little interest to bees.
The land is usually kept as a meadow between the trees, as it makes it easier for picking the olives, and those that do can cut it for hay. That means dandelion, daisy, hyssop, and many other wildflowers grow between the trees.
If all goes well I'm going to enrich the meadow by sowing a wildflower mix next year.

Back