June gap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt there was much of a Hawthorn flow, Sycamore has been busy but the drop in temps and the rain has slowed that to a standstill.

We had another flow starting in the middle of last week, hawthorn and sycamore, not sure how long it will last.

Does your every plant give "a flow"?

I have thought that flow means big yields. Blooming does not mean flow. Weather is one part of flow and soil moisture (rains)

Last edited:
I doubt there was much of a Hawthorn flow, Sycamore has been busy but the drop in temps and the rain has slowed that to a standstill.

OK. Swarm answered to my previous post.

Our nature is now full of blooming, but it has been rained one week.
Good rains this time of year is good, however.

When use pull off the supers after spring flow do use feed a little syrup or leave one super on ?

When use pull off the supers after spring flow do use feed a little syrup or leave one super on ?
For me they have plenty of honey in 2nd brood box.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

Been a good flow from the worts... and the Hawthorn is just starting to flower here, also been a good flow from the sycamore, about another week and that will be pretty much over.
The wild raspberries will soon be in flower, the bees usually do well from them.

Does your every plant give "a flow"?

I have thought that flow means big yields. Blooming does not mean flow. Weather is one part of flow and soil moisture (rains)

Not every plant give a flow but in my area we have mostly grazing fields with an abundance of hedgerows and hawthorn. It usually coincides with the sycamore so tend to create a good flow based on local conditions.

Now there is a lot of nectar coming in, out apiary. No idea what it could be. I am near Leicester, any ideas?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

Not sure about your area but the first to yield here as a proper summer flow is the brambles, the early ones are already out but not yielding yet, I'm on a string of late night finishes getting the spring honey(lovely gloopy mostly sycamore and a bit of hawthorn by the taste of it) spun out while there's no shake.

Yep bramble showing well at a few sites in N.wales a week away elsewhere.

A note went in my diary today to the effect that the spring flow is over and we're into the june gap here, its been an abundant spring flow, lets hope summer provides a bit of honey too.

I live in a very agricultural area with OSR giving way to fieldbeans. Although the OSR is over, field beans (along with miscellaneous forage from the roadside verges, etc) are still producing quite strongly. For me, July is a dearth month where robbing can start. This coincides with the start of wasp problems so I do as little in the hives as possible.
At least, you have the HB to look forward to. There is none of that near me.

Some very heavy supers at the apiary today. Brambles are beginning to flower, Sycamore has been really good.
Noticed quite a few cells of nectar on the brood frames so something still coming in.

Last week I thought I was in a June Gap but today there is a flow coming in again. Maybe the recent rain helped. I have seen bramble in flower and lime not too far off.

Last week I thought I was in a June Gap but today there is a flow coming in again. Maybe the recent rain helped. I have seen bramble in flower and lime not too far off.

Whereabouts in Cheshire are you Walrus?

I live in South Manchester but bees are at High Legh and Dunham Massey. You have a nice website btw :hurray:

Too kind. I hope that your bees are in fine fettle. I also have hives on land a stone’s throw from DM (a hang up from the family being originally from Altrincham/Hale).

Has anyone seen any bramble yielding yet? i've seen some early flowers but no flow evident... There seems to be quite a few buds on them this year and weather may be more favourable than last year with sunshine and showers... last years crop was impacted by lack of rain.

Has anyone seen any bramble yielding yet? i've seen some early flowers but no flow evident... There seems to be quite a few buds on them this year and weather may be more favourable than last year with sunshine and showers... last years crop was impacted by lack of rain.

Lots in flower close to some of mine, probably looking at the next week or so for bees to take a lot of interest but maybe earlier with the rain we are getting.
I am running very, very low of empty super boxes, so hopefully get some spun out over the weekend before the main flow starts.
S

Back