June Gap?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Mmmmmmmm I don't think so this year.
Plenty of Hawthorn to come. Raspberry well on its way. Rosebay is too and there are plenty of plump buds on the bramble.
What's next months forage looking like your way?

yep bramble has started here still got one apple tree with blossom just dropping

We have all sorts that are behind - I think the June gap could be a blip at best...hopefully:)

Cockspur thorn trees starting to flower, buds appearing on privet and the thorny shrubs that have orange berries in the winter(?), lime and false acacia flower buds starting to show too.

wisteria, clematis, alliums - chives etc, broccoli, some potatoes throwing out buds, poppies in bud, orange blossom or philadelphus, photinia, conker trees still in blossom though fading now, wigela, hebe in bud, peonies, just to name the few I've noticed when walking the dog!

Brambles have some juicy buds on them as we speak :D cannot wait for this as my hives are surrounded by many many wild brambles :p.

Im a new beek does honey from blackberries have a particular taste? does it granulate fast?

Apart from that i recently saw some trees around the hedges of the land and its got pinkish blossom on, any ideas?

Cockspur thorn trees starting to flower, buds appearing on privet and the thorny shrubs that have orange berries in the winter(?), lime and false acacia flower buds starting to show too.

Wild Rose and the orange berries Rose Hips

... the thorny shrubs that have orange berries in the winter(?)...

pyracantha

and i forgot, gooseberries too are in bud, sweet williams, heuchera, irises, euphorbia, love in the mist or nigella ... there is an abundance of flora out there! june gap? what june gap?

Berberis and Pyracanthus both of tight clusters of orange berries in winter - and my asparagus.

imho the June gap doesn't apply to suburban UK......

Lime trees June /July here.

Hawthorn just out. Poppies coming out plus rasps etc..

Loads of broom and copper beech - if pollen colour (deep orange) is to be believed..

We've been in the gap effectively for a week now since the acacia stopped with very little forage to speak about. Viburnum lantana is flowering now which provides a bit of a flow, and lime trees, bramble and sweet chestnut will be flowering in June.

Chris

Wish I could tell - apple and cherry blossoms are gone, heather and dandelions have finally finished, it's all buttercups and daisies at the moment & too early for clover. Thanks for the timely reminder to figure out what the next few weeks' forage is looking like!

The apple orchards, particularly those with younger trees have a scattering of secondary bloom and the Hawthorne is in full bloom - probably the best display I have seen in recent years. OSR is beginning to tail off so I expect that I'll be extracting OSR within the week. I have noticed some brambles starting to bloom already.

Bit of very early white clover out here in S.W,Scotland.Sycamore trees still in tight but.What a crazy mixed-up season this year.

hawthorn everywhere but giving no nectar out,havent seen a single bee on it

Lots of Hawthorn still but I don't think it will be there much longer. Other than that there's not much in my area so I'm still preparing for the gap, just in case;)

The apple orchards, particularly those with younger trees have a scattering of secondary bloom and the Hawthorne is in full bloom - probably the best display I have seen in recent years. OSR is beginning to tail off so I expect that I'll be extracting OSR within the week. I have noticed some brambles starting to bloom already.

We seem to be on the same timescale...brambles just starting, still on the dandelions, tonnes of hawthorn (though not seen the bees on it as still on the failing OSR and possibly a Spring OSR field coming in down the lane (closed atm so can't check!)). Bit of red clover so white not far behind. On the self-sown phacelia and various wild flowers, also on the bank of blue Centaura for the first time (some in the sun).

And something a shocking pale red which is all over their wings :eek: (no horse chestnut afaik)

Latest posts

Back