Join me for my first full inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think so ... there are kinder ways of pointing out improvements to a new beekeeper ... I think you need to rethink on here Ron... as my Dad used to say .. 'if you can't say owt nice then say nowt at all' ....

I am very much a novice hobby bee keeper and I was fascinated by the size of your monster sized hive compared to my standard size National and wbc.
It seems that the frame holder you are using is slowing you down and perhaps consider holding the lugs of your Hoffmans over the nest box, as it would be easier for you to “read” the frames by blowing over the bees to get a clearer view.
Perhaps you might consider standing facing the same direction as your pal (the legs) towards the hive so making it easier to free up the frames to pick up and “read” your frames and complete your inspection more quickly, which would be worth considering if your number of hives increases from 2 hives.
Another aid perhaps to consider would be a manipulation cloth as I felt your bees were getting a bit excitable nearer the end of your inspection.
Maybe my excitable is other folks calm?
Thx for the comments.
The national deep is a choice I made years ago before I ever got a chance to start keeping. The idea is to have a single box for brood and never need to worrey that the queen will run out of space. They are really heavy when they are full of honey!
Last time I went near the hive I used rubber gloves and they were way more aggressive - got stung on the hand through the glove and really didn't want to drop a frame, so as my leathers are too thick to feel carefully, this time I tried the grip. It is slow, as you say. Maybe I will get faster. The bees hate it if I blow them - really gets them at my face.
Love the idea of the manipulation cloth - do you have a good source for one?

Very docile bees hive like that I'd not be using smoke much... Ditch the frame lifter and no point in lifting brood less frames
Interesting. I was thinking I could keep them down and out of harms way if I had used more - less suits me. I hate the idea of using smoke really.
I would prefer to use bare hands, but just don't want to drop a frame reacting to a sting.
Would you not search for a queen cell at this time of year? I saw one in the vid and was planning on going back in within the week to see if they are doing anything with it. Are there still drones about now?

Thanks for sharing the video.. They looked really calm from the start.

The same as above really I probably wouldn't of used so much smoke, there was no need, you might of had more chance of finding the Queen.

I know this is personal preference but I don't like the j hive tool, I always use a standard hive tool and the frame grabber would of gone out the window.

You will find that unless you wash your leather gloves, they will get covered in bee venom and more than likely get stung on the hands.

Im not saying they aren't handy because you need them, sometimes when you are doing some serious manipulating of the frames and boxes, or your going through a rouge or Q- colony.
But maybe get your self some nitriles or marigolds.

I also thought the inspection went on a bit, if that was a bigger colony there would of been bee's every where.
One more thing rather than smoke or water spray or a bee brush.. I some times use a cockerels feather to move bees of frames. ;)
Gove washing - good tip
What is a Q-colony?
Cockerel feather - excellet idea, thx

You have lots of room in the brood box and a super with lots of stored syrup, its unlikely they will draw the second super this year - may as well remove it. I didn't notice a queen excluder so your queen could easily have been in the first super. As long as you see eggs and/or very young larvae you don't have to see the Q. She will be easier for you to spot early next spring , she will be bigger and there will be less bees.
I agree with others about the frame lifter, its a personal choice. Good to see how careful and gentle you tried to bee, sudden movements and jerks will get them excited as you noted when you lost grip on a frame. Overall they looked to be pretty calm, if you find the sheer number of bees coming up from between the frames disconcerting take up the idea of using an 'inspection cloth' it will physically keep them down and maybe help a little in maintaining the hive temperature. Good to see that you mostly smoked by wafting it and not blasting it into the hive. Good job all in all.
Thx
Think if I give them some 1/1 SW they will be stimulated into drawing out some more comb?

Thx for the comments.
The national deep is a choice I made years ago before I ever got a chance to start keeping. The idea is to have a single box for brood and never need to worrey that the queen will run out of space. They are really heavy when they are full of honey!
Last time I went near the hive I used rubber gloves and they were way more aggressive - got stung on the hand through the glove and really didn't want to drop a frame, so as my leathers are too thick to feel carefully, this time I tried the grip. It is slow, as you say. Maybe I will get faster. The bees hate it if I blow them - really gets them at my face.

Last time I went near the hive I used rubber gloves and they were way more aggressive - got stung on the hand

This could of been because of other factors, weather, wasps, stores to protect, genetics. I'm sure there could be more.
Gove washing - good tip
What is a Q-colony?
Cockerel feather - excellet idea, thx
Q- = queenless colony/hive.
I also wash my sute after I've inspected.
The vail is either tucked in side of the suite, or pushed up the arm of the suite a tip from folk on here put the vail in a pillow case then wash it.
Leather gloves don't wash very well,
They shrink and go hard. If you find away of drying them and keeping them supple let me know?

I really have to commend you on the video, you can see that you care for your bees, and you were trying to be gentle. as your confidence grows you will find which ways best, take from the forum what you will, but also try different things, what works for others may not work for you
I've also got 14x12s or deep brood boxes, most of mine have had there supers removed the same goes for my other hives.
Good luck

Would the bees not propolise them?
They do - but this doesn't effect the results so long as you put the very small hole in the sensors down on the wood. Tonight brood Right is 32 deg, brood Left is 26deg, crown board 22deg and outside hive is 12deg. A wopping 20 deg difference.

Thx for the comments.

I use the fine kid leather gloves as like you I don’t relish stings.
If you feel more confident with the thicker gloves use them as the more you use them, the more dexterous and faster, you will become, especially if you try holding the lugs of the Hoffmans instead of that frame holder.
The nitrile disposable gloves are for bio security, so in that case just stick the largest pair of nitriles you can get over your kid gloves.

Blowing the bees in the ‘direction away’, from you, will stop them going to your face or as another forumite suggested try and use a large feather( not tried that yet myself) to move them on.

Don’t get hung up about having to see the queen, all you need to look for, is eggs or sealed brood and mark top of the frame with a drawing pin each side of the brood nest to check expansion of brood nest from previous inspection.

Using the pin markers at next inspection, you can miss out taking out all the frames and save yourself some time, as you can tell at a glance which frames had brood and start round that marked frame.
Resist the urge to inspect too frequently as it’s similar to digging up your tatties to inspect how much they are growing.
Each time you inspect your hive, you set it back by a day.

But if you only have one or two hives, then you have all the time in the world, for your inspection but as time becomes more precious as the number of hives increases, you will get quicker as a matter of necessity.

The manipulation cloth is available from Thornes ( don’t buy a second) on page 28 of the Thornes catalogue Feb 2000 priced at £26.35.

They do - but this doesn't effect the results so long as you put the very small hole in the sensors down on the wood. Tonight brood Right is 32 deg, brood Left is 26deg, crown board 22deg and outside hive is 12deg. A wopping 20 deg difference.
I had never heard of these gadgets until you mentioned them.

I use the fine kid leather gloves as like you I don’t relish stings.
If you feel more confident with the thicker gloves use them as the more you use them, the more dexterous and faster, you will become, especially if you try holding the lugs of the Hoffmans instead of that frame holder.
The nitrile disposable gloves are for bio security, so in that case just stick the largest pair of nitriles you can get over your kid gloves.

Blowing the bees in the ‘direction away’, from you, will stop them going to your face or as another forumite suggested try and use a large feather( not tried that yet myself) to move them on.

Don’t get hung up about having to see the queen, all you need to look for, is eggs or sealed brood and mark top of the frame with a drawing pin each side of the brood nest to check expansion of brood nest from previous inspection.

Using the pin markers at next inspection, you can miss out taking out all the frames and save yourself some time, as you can tell at a glance which frames had brood and start round that marked frame.
Resist the urge to inspect too frequently as it’s similar to digging up your tatties to inspect how much they are growing.
Each time you inspect your hive, you set it back by a day.

But if you only have one or two hives, then you have all the time in the world, for your inspection but as time becomes more precious as the number of hives increases, you will get quicker as a matter of necessity.

The manipulation cloth is available from Thornes ( don’t buy a second) on page 28 of the Thornes catalogue Feb 2000 priced at £26.35.

You know more than you let on :unsure:

............ As you replace frames after inspecting them keep them squashed together. Leaving frames gapped means you lose your working space and start rolling bees which can annoy them and when you get everything back together you've a lot of spaces for bees to get squashed as you push it all together.................."
This is a new one on me - thx a million for it. Makes perfect sense

Or make your own with a piece of old curtain and two pieces of dowel .. approx £2.62
You are the man who is handy that us mere mortals dream about.😊
By the time Mr Speybee has time to spare, I just give up and reach for the catalogue.

Back