Join me for my first full inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx
Think if I give them some 1/1 SW they will be stimulated into drawing out some more comb?
Have a think about it - you are using 14X12 deep national brood box---how many frames are fully drawn?---how many frames with brood?---how many seams of bees?----how many are store?
On top of that you have a super partly drawn? and filled with sugar syrup?
When do the bees slow down production and when do they begin winter preps?
Have you removed that second super yet ?

I use an old muslin cloth left over from when the children were babies. They are very light in colour and weight so the bees don’t seem to mind. I tried an old drying up cloth and they hated that!
I've used teatowels before - I think the lighter the material the better but woven well.
Muslin cloth, or part of a cotton bed sheet.
I would opt for the cotton sheet, as it would keep them in the dark more.
I've used a hive cloth, when pairing frames up to find the Queen instead of a crown board albeit for a very short time.

There's nought more satisfying than making your own equipment for peanuts.

Night all I'm on holiday tomorrow..
If you can call it that, working on the house at the farm putting a roof and starting to build the chimney back up again.
I prefer to eat my peanuts😉

I've used teatowels before - I think the lighter the material the better but woven well.
Muslin cloth, or part of a cotton bed sheet.
I would opt for the cotton sheet,

Use an old polycotton pillow case.
Its light weight and just the right size without any cutting or sewing. If its a bit windy where you keep your hives , just cut a hole in each corner and poke the bamboo canes through. Works a treat.

Unless in a situation like above, isn't it simpler to just lay the first frame removed on top if the bees are taking to the air?
I had a horrible bunch of ginger upstarts some years ago, affectionately known as the Banana Splits due to the smell as soon as the crown board was cracked. Lifting the frames brought a new squadron of angry bees with each one. Blow on them to move them and examine brood? LOL I suppose it did really as every bee on the frame would be up in your face. First frame on top worked well enough. ;)

They seemed far more relaxed than my bees.
Maybe it was the music you play them on that CD - BeeGeees?

Plagiarising myself from a week ago; it was in fact The Gee Bees and the song I was playing was "Stay in a hive". ;)

Back