Jars in the dishwasher

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batcher

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi. Just about to put some jars through the dishwasher. They are new and boxed, but I think I its a good idea to give them a hot wash. Do I put a dishwasher tablet in there or the hot water will be enough? Thanks

Doesn't really matter.

They should be pretty clean so hot water would do, alternatively the machine will rinse off any detergent.

I put a tablet in with mine, leaves no marks or taste.

PS. You definitely need to wash them before filling

Last edited:
They are new and boxed,

Just remember to take them out of the box first!

They were made at what temperature, untouched by human hand? My last lot came with lids already fitted loosely. How are you treating the lids might be another question.

If clean, but you are worried about sanitation, you could, instead, heat them in the oven to kill off any pathogens you think might have contaminated them.

Do you heat-treat your honey, as in pasteurise it? I don't, and neither does anyone on the forum unless they are a bulk honey processor.

Thanks both. Yes, I'll take them out of the box. LOL. Dont heat treat it. Hive.... Extractor....Jar.. Thankyou.

Just a thought but who sterilises their storage buckets..?

Just a thought but who sterilises their storage buckets..?
New sterile food-grade poly bag inside storage bucket, no need to sterilise - though I wash extractor and all larger vessels out with brewery barrel steriliser before use.
As for jars, if they come in a sealed box from a supplier like C***** I'd suggest they're probably fine as they are.

Last edited:
New sterile food-grade poly bag inside storage bucket, no need to sterilise - though I wash extractor and all larger vessels out with brewery barrel steriliser before use.
As for jars, if they come in a sealed box from a supplier like C***** I'd suggest they're probably fine as they are.

Some years ago I thought a wash in the dishwasher was a waste of time but not after I saw a spider floating around in a jar of honey I had just filled. ALWAYS wash thoroughly now. Don't kid yourself spiders and other bugs don't get into full new boxes of jar 'cos they do. QED.

Dishwasher, no detergent, then into oven at 45 degrees until dry. The jars are then filled when still a little warm and it helps dispersal of any tiny bubbles that haven't floated up in the ripening tank.

I sterilises all honey buckets and jar lids in a solution of Milton and then rinse with filtered tap water even when they are new.

I agree that no matter where you store the box of jars there will always be small enough bugs to get into the carton unless your supplier seals every joint in the box. Also I expect the cartons are not filled in a sterile area so there is the possibility of little "critters" getting in before shipping.

Bucket full of piping hot water with soda, submerge and remove with a pair of tongs. Rinse in a bucket of boiled and cooled water without soda.

Bucket full of piping hot water with soda, submerge and remove with a pair of tongs. Rinse in a bucket of boiled and cooled water without soda.

How much soda is then left in the rinsing out bucket?

This question comes around every year, the answers are still the same, I doubt any jar supplier will tell you that their jars are clean enough to use straight from the box.

This question comes around every year, the answers are still the same, I doubt any jar supplier will tell you that their jars are clean enough to use straight from the box.
:iagree:

Only a little. And a good trick is to pour off the top layer of water when it gets covered in soda scum.

I often wonder how long jars are kept in warehouses and how clean they are, I'v been in a few with bottled drinks and rats are everywhere and since then I don't drink straight from the bottle or can and always pour it into a glass

An old beek friend has told me several stories about some of the commercial honey bottling plants with mice and rats running around in abundance.

I always open box upside down, then any bits fall out even bits of packaging, then water only through dishwasher then oven then fill jars when cooled down, manufactures open bottles and jars upside down and that's it.

Latest posts

Back