Jar Prices 2024.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also needing to buy some jars. I am trying to decide whether to move from hex to round jars and 12oz to 1lb. What do your customers prefer?

I am also needing to buy some jars. I am trying to decide whether to move from hex to round jars and 12oz to 1lb. What do your customers prefer?
I have 12 oz hex at the gate but say they can ring for 1lb round jars. £6 v £7.50 so more honey for your money in the bigguns. An amazing amount go for the hex for presents and the pound jars for themselves!

Reactions: Ely
I have 12 oz hex at the gate but say they can ring for 1lb round jars. £6 v £7.50 so more honey for your money in the bigguns. An amazing amount go for the hex for presents and the pound jars for themselves!
I just raised my price from £6 to £7 for the 12oz hex.

Freeman Harding are good on quality and price I find. My round 8oz jars and lids (with a choice of colours and patterns) are working out at 37p each this year… that was for a pallet load (2100) that I split with the other beeks in our BKA
Freeman and Harding usually do a good deal for collection at the NHS but I've not heard anything from them yet. I like their beekeeper packs that come shrinkwrapped, in trays, with the lids on.

https://www.freemanharding.co.uk/co...rs-for-beekeepers-and-special-beekeeper-packs
Same here 🙂

decide whether to move from hex to round jars and 12oz to 1lb.
Depends whether you want to move with the times: consensus is that hex present & sell better. Few retailers use the 454 and a 340 is the new large.

If you have limited stock but wish to supply customers all year (they will appreciate it) use the smaller jar. If you want it gone fast and are not concerned by less return, sell it cheap in big jars, like they did in 1968.

Depends whether you want to move with the times: consensus is that hex present & sell better. Few retailers use the 454 and a 340 is the new large.

If you have limited stock but wish to supply customers all year (they will appreciate it) use the smaller jar. If you want it gone fast and are not concerned by less return, sell it cheap in big jars, like they did in 1968.
That works two ways. If they think it is going to run out then they buy in bulk and you get a queue when the new season honey comes in. Also, it always looks at its best just extracted. As long as you sell it it doesn't really matter how you do it☺️

As long as you sell it it doesn't really matter how you do it
Depends if you sell at the garden gate and the money is a minor bonus, or sell regularly through the year to retail outlets or markets. For the latter, continuity of supply is crucial, as is the cashflow to help pay the mortgage.

Latest posts

Back