Ivy coming into flower

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popparand

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just noticed ivy round here coming into bud. Seems a bit early but I've never really checked in previous years when this starts. Is this normal, or does it mark the end of summer, an early autumn and long cold winter?

Hi Popparand.

This is something I have discussed with my local fellow beekeepers for very many years.

My own conclusion is that there is very little difference year over year. Why? Because it's more to do with sunlight than anything else.

I recall the 'old wives' tale that if there is an abundance of berries, this was nature's way to feed the birds due to a pending harsh winter. It has more to do with good pollination earlier.

Fred.

Just noticed ivy round here coming into bud. Seems a bit early but I've never really checked in previous years when this starts. Is this normal, or does it mark the end of summer, an early autumn and long cold winter?
Like most things, it depends on your location. However, there are variations in the plants themselves and I could show you Ivy in full flower by the end of this month while at the same time, in the same location, it is still in bud.

This is mine a good month off opening. It seems the same time every year. 841E9DB3-6AC6-4FCA-88D9-10EB5C574B17.jpeg

Latest posts

Back