Its too Hot to do beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winker

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Yesterday it was 30c, today looks to top that it may get as high as 32c here today.

I tried to examine 5 hives yesterday, by the time i had opened up the thrid one my bee suit was dripping with sweat, my head felt as if it was about to boil and i had to give up.

In not even going to bother today...

Only wimps complain about it being too hot. ... or too cold...:)

Winker. Get up early before it's too hot. It will give you the rest of the day to sunbathe.:)

by the time i had opened up the thrid one my bee suit was dripping with sweat, my head felt as if it was about to boil and i had to give up.

Good, so now you know what it's like here and much hotter still.

...and as for you madasafish, get yourself over here for a bit.;)

Chris

Winker. Get up early before it's too hot. It will give you the rest of the day to sunbathe.:)

I am up at the crack of dawn every day. I have to get the 6 German Shepherds fed and walked before i do anything. But yeah i hear what your saying, do it earlier in the day/morning.

Chris, it’s a different kind of heat here in England. You have a dryer kind of heat over there in the south of france. Back here our air is full of moisture making it hard going on any physical activity. I find I can function much better in climates which get this kind of heat regularly

Good, so now you know what it's like here and much hotter still.

...and as for you madasafish, get yourself over here for a bit.;)

Chris

I used to run in South Africa in 40C. #

You are all wimps :)

# But need acclimatisation to do it again!

Well I stay indoors most of the day when it's hot as you can see....but the bees like it - I think.

Actually the problem isn't the humidity which can be high here, it's what happens when you put on a bee suit. This is why I get stung a lot.

Chris

I used to run in South Africa in 40C. #

You are all wimps :)

# But need acclimatisation to do it again!

I used to run in SA as well, but I find the heat in London beats the Jo'burg heat hands down. It's wet heat, dirty and close and makes it impossible to breathe. Jo'burg's heat was lovely and dry ....

Like it or not age has a bearing on things as well, there's lot's of things I used to do.

Chris

I used to run in SA as well, but I find the heat in London beats the Jo'burg heat hands down. It's wet heat, dirty and close and makes it impossible to breathe. Jo'burg's heat was lovely and dry ....

Singapore with 43C and 99% humidity makes London look cool..

[I"]Like it or not age has a bearing on things as well, there's lot's of things I used to do.[/I]"

If I am as fit at his age as the 75 year old beekeeper at our Association I'll be delighted.

Old age is an excuse and not a reason .

Old age is an excuse and not a reason .

That's a trifle smug if I may say so and shows a remarkable lack of understanding for different peoples personal situations, must be the heat.

Chris

You have 22 hives, how did you manage last year? I look at it as a sauna, take weight off and once you are in the hives I don't seem to notice... but, it's when you stop. Please you have to bother, I'm sick of getting swarm phone calls. Keep Calm and Carry On Beekeeping! regards
Steven

You have 22 hives, how did you manage last year? I look at it as a sauna, take weight off and once you are in the hives I don't seem to notice... but, it's when you stop. Please you have to bother, I'm sick of getting swarm phone calls. Keep Calm and Carry On Beekeeping! regards
Steven

I only had 14 hives last year...Bloody swarmy bees :sifone: 8 Nucs added this year

Then having said that i only realy had 8 hives last year and took 6 nucs through winter and they all survived. So that put me up to 14 at the start of the year.

Im going for 40 next year

Last edited:
once you are in the hives I don't seem to notice... but, it's when you stop. Keep Calm and Carry On Beekeeping! regards
Steven

I don't mind the heat, yesterday was quite pleasant when I inspected in the afternoon in the high 20's. It is when I stop that I notice I'm a tad pink.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back