It's been a long haul...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
21 and a half weeks ago Buddy appeared out the bushes on a walk we have taken many many times. This time though he was in a right mess with his chest literally hanging in shreds. What he ran into we have no idea but it took three vets and nurses three and a half hours to stitch him up. His chest muscles were torn as well as his skin.

He has spent the last 18 weeks with a pad over the wound held on by three strips of bandage, a cotton wool wrap, further bandages over that and vet wrap over that again. We arrived at a solution for the pad moving by using Gurilla tape to fix the bandage to the pad. A great success that impressed the nurses no end.

Today he for the first time is bandage and pet coat free. As I titled this, it's been a bloody long haul. Now to get him fit again. He's never complained never struggled. It was taking three of us to bandage him and the wife left on business, I turned round and he was in bits, or the bandaging was. It being a Saturday and with no transport, I decided to do it myself. He stood like a little soldier on parade while I was holding ends with my chin. We managed and it stayed on until the Monday vet visit.

I'll add that the nurses suggested laser treatment which he has had twice a week and its worked wonders. Accelerated the healing no end.

PH

Attachments

• IMG_20190902_164204a.jpg
    IMG_20190902_164204a.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 121
Congratulations!
:winner1st:

I'll say that our other whippet Blu has been a total star in helping keep Buddy happy and calm. If Blu had been awkward it would have been a real nightmare in every sense but not he seemed to understand and help. :) They are the best of mates and curl up together and snuggle so imagine if Blu had been a licker....

Anyway tonight they have been promised a steak mince dinner as a reward and treat. Said mince is in the freezer and recently bought from one of Scotlands artisan butchers, so nothing but the best for the best. :) I am chef tonight!

PH

Attachments

• Buddy and Blu snuggles.jpg
    Buddy and Blu snuggles.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Really happy for you, there is nothing worse than having something awful like this happen to your dog. I've had more than my fair share of tragic events with dogs, it's great to see he's recovering.

They are Whippets. Anyone in the know will understand those three words.

The essentials of a whippets life are several beds around the house a large sofa and access to the marital bed too. Not to mention toys, places to run and of course the Motor Home (aka mobile kennel) to take them to interesting places with lots of new snuffs.

I am coming back as a whippet. :) A beekeping one of course....

PH

By the sound of thing's the pooch has hit barb wire or a pile of buried corrugated sheets..i have had bad tangles with both when working them on the bunnies..it is certainly good to hear that your little Buddy has healed well and on the mend..;)

Here is Willy the racing Whippet who loves bunnies with my new pup..my lady friend has three of the little speed demons..

Attachments

• IMG-20190902-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20190902-WA0000.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Blu may not be a licker, but someone has taken a chunk out of your sofa it seems...
Really pleased for you and I hope they enjoy the steak:)

I can't see anything in the photo to suggest sofa damage and my lads are a bit offended that they are being accused of eating furniture...lol

Buddy is a bit red today so we have lashed on the cream and have fingers crossed for tonight. If it's still looking red in the morning we will put a pad on it again as we are determined not to go backwards after all this time and effort. He has his little medical suit on and they have been a godsend too.

PH

An update.

After 188 days the last of the scabbing went and Buddy was officially declared healed.

The Head Nurse at the vets is a lass called Gillian and she was just "pure dead brilliant" both with us and with Buddy. She made several suggestions all of which accelerated his recovery.

So... with the connivance of the head vet we set her up. She had mentioned several times that the vets were a bit light fingered with her scissors so...

We bought a very good pair and after a struggle found an engraver in Newcastle to do the job. That was a day out actually and a successful one.
We arranged an appointment with Gillian and during it the wife slipped out and took in the cakes for the whole team, flowers for Gillian and of course the scissors. The text reads "Gillian, thank you. Buddy"

I finished off the appointment and we went through to reception where all the available staff were gathered. I presented the flowers and then the scissors with a comment about being theft proof at which some of the vets shuffled their feet and looked a bit pink...lol Gillian was over the moon as was the chief vet as no one had ever made the effort before.

It was only then that the operating vets admitted that they really didn't think Buddy would make it. But he has and that's all that really matters.

Alls well that ends well. :)

PH

Well done PH and Buddy. We're glad he's recovered and it's brilliant that you showed your gratitude in a lasting and thoughtful way.

We Brit's tend to complain very readily but rarely say thanks for good service.

:cheers2:

After my guest house years I am only too aware of how easily some moan.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

PH

lucky to have such a thoughtful and caring owner

Latest posts

Back