Is this wax moth or worse?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Checking varroa tray and feed this morning and found these beasties. I have checked images and don’t seem to match wax moth or small hive beetle. Bees are active but clustered above poly brood box in the super I left on for winter and also have some fondant they have been eating. Any suggestions appreciated. The white larva was still moving around.

Attachments

• 9C42C58C-2D6A-45B5-8036-74B8B8762A46.jpeg
    9C42C58C-2D6A-45B5-8036-74B8B8762A46.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 124
Not a wax moth grub ...there is a chysalis to the left of the grub so probably some other type of moth. As far as I'm aware at present we don't have SHB here .... yet.

You've got a few things going on on that inspection board .. I think I can see a discarded skin and perhaps a spider mite. The translucent grub looks to me more like a variety of slug ... I occasionally see slugs cleaning up debris on the inspection board.

There might be a lesser wax moth grub just below the chrysalis ... you do get them on the inspection board if you leave them in long term and don't clean them regularly. If you have a strong colony above then they will usually deal with any grubs that get in to the actual hive ..

Last edited:
Not a wax moth grub ...there is a chysalis to the left of the grub so probably some other type of moth. As far as I'm aware at present we don't have SHB here .... yet.

You've got a few things going on on that inspection board .. I think I can see a discarded skin and perhaps a spider mite. The translucent grub looks to me more like a variety of slug ... I occasionally see slugs cleaning up debris on the inspection board.

There might be a lesser wax moth grub just below the chrysalis ... you do get them on the inspection board if you leave them in long term and don't clean them regularly. If you have a strong colony above then they will usually deal with any grubs that get in to the actual hive ..
Thank you so much. Mind a bit easier now.

If you leave a tray close to the open mesh floor it will collect all the detritus falling from the hive. Opportunists will move in and feed on it. Remove the tray and leave them in peace (as long as they have sufficient stores).

Latest posts

Back