is this sacbrood? what should I do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrekfeet

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
HI folks, went away for a few weeks, all was good before I left. Came back and not had immediate opportunity to visit the hive. When I looked in yesterday I was shocked to see lots of dead larve. No sign of a queen or any small eggs. Having done some research I think it could be sacbrood. Please confirm from the attached pictures I took today. The colony seems to be very diminished. It came from a swarm I collected last year and seemed to be doing well.

What should I do? Do I need to get a replacement queen or give up altogether. I seem to have nothing but problems with this beekeeping lark!

I think there should be attachements of images to this message if I have uploaded them coprrectly. Please confirm

He shrekfeet,
I agree with your diagnosis. The question is how many worker bees have you got left to play with?

How disheartening :( Does look like sacbrood. I would also call local bee inspector, unless I had an experienced mentor to help. Good luck to you and your bees.

Dont know about sack brood, but you have about four bees with deformed wings and I would be looking in that direction first.

what is likely to be causing the deformed wings? I did notice that issue too. I have added varoa treatment yesterday as it was missed in the Autumn. Probably the route of all my isssues I know!
:sorry:

Yes its varroa that causes deformed wings and it may be to late to treat.

Try the rope test on the really manky ones but the bee inspector is the way to go!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back