Is this my Queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again, brilliant photo, keith pierce - for us newbies, shows the condition perfectly.
Thanks for posting it. :)

Keith,
Nice photo, but for my area (I don't know about the state in yours) to see as many drones as workers in a shot at this time of year is a bit strange. Are you intentionally keeping drone numbers high? If so I suppose that explains why you probably have high varroa numbers and hence the dwv?

This is a photo of the same nuc.
i will explain later, as i am on the way out the door to use up the last queen i have in an apidea and put her in a poly nuc with a few frames of bees

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is a photo of the same nuc.
i will explain later, as i am on the way out the door to use up the last queen i have in an apidea and put her in a poly nuc with a few frames of bees

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

maybe just an odd photo..

but that's a hell of a lot drones per area.. last time I saw that many it was a DLQ

On Saturday I could have taken a picture with a hell of a lot more drones in it..... It was a colony with a recently mated queen who has just started to lay - Eggs only on three frames (probably about 60% of each frame laid up) and no sign of larvae just yet... The colony had more or less all the drones penned up on the two frames nearest the entrance (frames = warm way). I'm expecting them to start turfing drones out early this year. I should get into the habit of bringing my camera to the hives....

I'm envious, yet to see our Queen! On my list of things to do before I'm 50: "Find and mark a queen bee".. I have 5 years ;)

Last edited:
On Saturday I could have taken a picture with a hell of a lot more drones in it..... It was a colony with a recently mated queen who has just started to lay - Eggs only on three frames (probably about 60% of each frame laid up) and no sign of larvae just yet... The colony had more or less all the drones penned up on the two frames nearest the entrance (frames = warm way). I'm expecting them to start turfing drones out early this year. I should get into the habit of bringing my camera to the hives....

I take my camera every time now (and now with a plastic bag to put my hand in, since I got propolis on it last time!) - never know what there might be to record, either good or not so good... also as my husband who is the 'head beekeeper' lives in Scotland at the moment, so I can send him pics of our girls or anything I'm not sure about.

For new beeks here who are having problems seeing the Q -

---there is an unusually small quantity of workers/drones on the frame in his pics. imho It's them covering her that normally make the Q hard to find.

Back