Is this fondant feed in honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if its good enough for the bees I would taste it.

must make me brave then. haha.

Since honey is used in sterilising wounds in some cases can't see why there should be anything adverse in it. Taste it and you will soon see if its OK. Re-filtered it will probably be OK for sale or baking anyway.

Looks like OSR honey mixed with some other honey that has prevented it going totally solid. Pollen check might sort it out.

:iagree:

Puzzled by the "yuck" replies - it's just part-set honey with bits. Liquefy, filter, bottle, and it will look lovely, if rather pale and prone to rapid setting ;)

You can also get an interesting effect if you allow too much honey to accumulate in the extractor and 'whip' it with the lug-ends...

Puzzled by the "yuck" replies - it's just part-set honey with bits. Liquefy, filter, bottle, and it will look lovely, if rather pale and prone to rapid setting ;)

You can also get an interesting effect if you allow too much honey to accumulate in the extractor and 'whip' it with the lug-ends...

Is it cos its the colour that brood would be if they were all mashed up?

Extra protein . . .

The regular yuk, destroy them, burn them, use a cup of petrol on them reactions of the lesser informed contributors. Then a bit of experience came to light on the subject . . . fortunately.

Heat and strain then bottle again! :)

Last edited:

Hi DanBee,
It's the part-set which makes it that colour - yes? Does it set around bits and what are they - pollen, bee legs? Liquify means warm in this context? Sorry, about the detail, but I have not had any honey yet. Have seen that type of honey though. Thanks.

Hi DanBee,
It's the part-set which makes it that colour - yes? Does it set around bits and what are they - pollen, bee legs? Liquify means warm in this context? Sorry, about the detail, but I have not had any honey yet. Have seen that type of honey though. Thanks.

Can't say what's in there from the photo but if it's come out of the extractor there'll be all sorts of debris in there.

Heat to 50-60 deg C until it is liquid, then pass through a filter - home brew fine filter will suffice. Do not overheat, or heat for substantially longer than is necessary. You need to invest in a good book, e.g.

Haynes Bee Manual - Waring & Waring
Guide to Bees & Honey - Hooper
Practical Beekeeping - de Bruyn

There are many tricks and tips in dealing with honey and these will sort you out with the basics :)

Thanks DanBee - got the Hooper. Just asked because it seems to be an unusual occurrence. Will read that section before I extract lol.

Latest posts

Back