Is this brood frame OK?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My hive swarmed 5 weeks ago. A week ago there was no brood and we could not see any eggs. Now I have this (photo). Is this healthy looking brood? The brood do not look defined. Thanks for help.

I'm afraid that's not brood - what looks like pollen or granulated honey surrounded by capped honey.

Now I have this (photo). Is this healthy looking brood? The brood do not look defined.

That's not brood.

granulated oilseed rape honey , so of it just not quiet set solid yet

Dash.

I could not see any eggs either. But it was 5pm and the light was not good.

Its been 5 weeks since they swarmed.

Might it all be OK?

Are the options (A) hope its all OK, (B) buy a queen, (C) find a friend who has a queen cell on a brood frame? Anything else. Whats best?

Thanks.

Test frame first to establish the true situation.

5 weeks = 35 days.

Swarm leaves with say a sealed cell just sealed as per tradition...

35-8 = 27 days so she may have mated a few days ago and be getting ready to lay, but as there are no polished cells to be seen on that frame a test frame is called for.

PH

don't know now. if you cant make a difference between capped honey and capped brood should you really keep bees? a bit of educations could do no harm.

Lauri

don't know now. if you cant make a difference between capped honey and capped brood should you really keep bees? a bit of educations could do no harm.

Lauri

I think I could tell them apart but any advice is useful - what is the difference between capped brood and capped honey - in words or pictures, either or both would be useful not worthy

well, google is your best friend, search for "brood frame" and check for images. Its rather important to make the difference.. imagine extracting accidentally wrong frames.

Lauri

i do agree - its the place for questions. But there is also a homework to be done. Imagine i buy myself a dog and then go to the forum to ask if anybody knows what is the breed of my new dog because i myself have no idea what did i just buy..

but as long as people are willing to learn and take responsibility they can keep whatever they want in they bee boxes. even bees :)

Lauri

As for the frame - feed it back if needed, but i wouldn't use it for brood anymore.

Last edited:
I've got a dog. Don't know what breed it is. Actually, nobody I asked did either. Does it matter? He is quite happy, chases squirrels and likes long walks in the rain. What matters is that I have learned to love him and care for him and ask questions when I'm unsure. He has learned not to mess on the carpet and eat my arm. Nobody (apart from me) has questioned my ability to look after him because I asked a silly question.

To my untrained eye, I could easily see why that might have looked like brood, cos it certainly didn't look like honey at the first glance, and the one thing I'm learning is that magnified pictures in books and on the internet rarely look exactly like you'll see in a real world situation, particularly when the light isn't right, its windy, threatening to rain, you're in a hurry or hoping / expecting to see something.

I've learned so much from this site in the very short time I've been involved with these bee things and I haven't once been belittled for my lack of knowledge. I wouldn't still be here if I had been and I'd be going off and doing REALLY silly things - I'd be quite happily looking at frames like that thinking I had nice healthy brood, or allowing the other half to panic and merge hives when we thought we had no queen and doing more damage than good.

Besides, who is going to try to extract honey from a brood frame? ;)

well, google is your best friend, search for "brood frame" and check for images. Its rather important to make the difference.. imagine extracting accidentally wrong frames.

Lauri

Do you extract your brood frames.

I think I could tell them apart but any advice is useful - what is the difference between capped brood and capped honey - in words or pictures, either or both would be useful not worthy

Capped Honey
displayImage.cfm

Capped Brood & Larvae
displayImage.cfm

Lots of good images available at the BeeBase gallery

Latest posts

Back