Is this brood frame OK?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally you would only extract once the frame is free of brood. I did once extract a frame with a few ready to hatch bees in it, put it back with a few dizzy bees.

Forgive my ignorance -if you take honey from brood boxes surely you will eggs & larvae when straining?

Of course not! As susbees pointed out in an earlier post, during the winter many of the frames will have stores, not brood (yes, they are then deep [or whatever] frames of stores, not brood frames!). It can be the same in the summer, although there will be fewer. I like to see my brood box filled with brood, not stores.

I repeat, I often remove frames of stores for use elsewhere. I do not remove frames of eggs and larvae for anything other than immediate use elsewhere . Get real, please. We are not all unable to tell the difference between brood and food.

I seem to remember from somewhere that in colder climates, honey stores are removed from the brood box prior to winter, and the bees are then fed syrup to store.
:chillpill:

Last edited:
In case anyone was interested in what happened ... I can now announce I am a Proud Dad and have larvae in both hives, rather than granulated stores. Nature has taken its course and despite my reluctance to cut out some of the Queen cells from my old hive, it all seems good and the swarm has drawn out 9 of the 11 frames in the new hive. I'll definitely cut out Queen cells next time though.

Being a novice, I do have some queries ... if that's OK ...

I am now just wondering if I need to remove a super from my old hive (for reasons explained in post) and add a super to the swarmed hive?

Also a bit worried I saw a wax moth ... but hoping the hives are strong enough to repel them?

:hurray:
Congratulations!

And great website!

Wax moth are a useful tool in the wild by clearing out old used wax from old bee nests, they tend to go for old comb and not new comb. You can look up the life of a wax moth on the net which may help with your worries about them. I've never had any trouble with them. Relax.
regards
Steven

So everything turned out all right then, obviously you have done a bit of homework and now able to tell the difference between brood and honey, good on you, so do remember you should not extract brood but you can extract brood frames with honey and no brood, don't know how this ever got into this thread but good fun to read:biggrinjester:

So everything turned out all right then, obviously you have done a bit of homework and now able to tell the difference between

Couldn't resist this one and hope there's a sense of humour here:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bfe6CgYbH8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bfe6CgYbH8[/ame]

Made me laugh!

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Forgive my ignorance -if you take honey from brood boxes surely you will eggs & larvae when straining? An awful waste of bees I would say!

Yes but sure do taste good, it's an acquired taste.:rofl:

Latest posts

Back