Is this/am I normal?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanwood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
5 - 8
OK, so on Sunday LAST week (9 days ago) I got stung for the first time. Oh, and the second time :rolleyes: So, after the first one, quick anti-histamine, no problem. Second one, not much worse.

Then Yesterday (8 days after 'the stings') sting 2 was itching like crazy for 30 minutes.
Today (9 Days after the stings) the other one was itching like crazy.

Is this how it normaly works, or am I "Special" :sifone:

It's not the reaction I remember from my first bee stings .......

but maybe it's normal for Brizzell

Last edited:
Certainly not special. Different people react differently, that is all. Some never notice a sting after ten minutes and some swell up for days. Part of a spectrum of reactions.

My theory on this is that if you treat the sting with something then it can put off the inevetible - which is that in my experience you are going to end up with the maddening itching at some point, no matter what you do...or how long it takes to get to that point

I received my first sting about two weeks ago. It flew up my t-shirt and stung my belly. Removed sting very red for a day with very localized swelling not unlike a nettle sting. Painful for about an hours then just itchy the next day then nothing.

were you potching with the bees in a t shirt?

"potching"

is that something welsh miners do in the darkness of the pits?

richard

No, that's cwch!

Beanwood
I use Tea Tree oil to dab on the sting immediately - stops it v quickly and an antihistamine if i really itches. Only taken one this season though and had a few stings.

Tea Tree seems to stop the swelling - I always carry it in my top pocket.

Last edited:
Only once I have been stung, my fault hole in veil, bee got in and was trying to get back out, I thought she was out trying to get in, I shook my hat and trapped her between my hat and my forehead, zap, nor reaction until about 7 days later and did itch, I think it was just the puncture hole healing, I have had similar with a horse fly bit about 40 years ago, arm swollen and when the lump when down I itched like crazy for a few days, strange things bits and stings, it affects us all different

The welsh meaning for potching is fiddling with something, potching about with my engine so to speak

Is this how it normaly works, or am I "Special" :sifone:[/QUOTE]

:nature-smiley-011: yes of corse you are special, but it dose seem as though your reaction to bee stings is quite normal wich is a good thing realy, i ended up with a very itchy red squear om my leg from my first sting :nature-smiley-016:

Sometimes when I get stung it just hurts a bit then goes away; other times it swells up, and those are the ones that end up itching a few days later. The worst sting was between my toes (walking on grass/clover in flip flops when on holiday) - that was in Wales; it could probably tell I was from England ;)

Stings on my hand "no prob" but last week I got sting on the eye brow and it came up like a balloon.

IF I am stung (none last year and none so far this year -now I have tempted fate!) then the initial sting jabs a bit, goes away quickly but swells the next day, itches like b88888y and takes about a week to go away. Consequently I am not keen on being stung.
Cazza

You are special but normal as well

as we are all slightly unique.

Stings on finger tips - no reaction
Stings on palm of hand - swelling.
Stings on underside of arm - small swelling
Stings on top of arm - big swellings
Stings on neck and ear - no reaction
Stings on legs - no reaction..

I don't want to contemplate stings elsewhere :)

I often get stings or bite sites starting up again a week later, just like you said. It's very annoying. If you can resist scratching, the secondary reaction will go away quickly.

But then I react to all stings and bites with a lovely blotchy swelling. So I try very hard not to get stung.

Sometimes when I get stung it just hurts a bit then goes away; other times it swells up, and those are the ones that end up itching a few days later.
:iagree: That's the same as me - I do sometimes feel a bit itchy all over a day or so later with no other signs or symptoms - might be a coincidence. Hopefully good for arthritis!!!

R2

I don't want to know this badly...

as we are all slightly unique.

Stings on finger tips - no reaction
Stings on palm of hand - swelling.
Stings on underside of arm - small swelling
Stings on top of arm - big swellings
Stings on neck and ear - no reaction
Stings on legs - no reaction..

I don't want to contemplate stings elsewhere :)

Thanks all for your thoughts. I was stung on the wrist, and again through my suit on my tummy. (Note to self - bee suits are always a little too tight - it can't be I'm overweight:willy_nilly:)

Madasafish - forgive me, but many thanks for your inputnot worthy- do you mind if I don't get stung quite so much to compare?:D

If this is as bad as it gets, I'm really rather pleased (Bizarrely). I seem to get no reaction to nettle stings any more, though they've never been bad.
I might get some tea tree oil though Beezer - after all - every little helps...

Latest posts

Back