Is this/am I normal?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
were you potching with the bees in a t shirt?

I may have been potching in my t-shirt. But they have their end of the garden and I have mine.:bigear:

I've had three stings in my short (couple of months) beekeeping career. Twice on the hand through yellow marigolds and once on the leg, through light trousers. In each case it felt like a nettle sting at first and within a couple of hours there was nothing to feel or see.

I am concerned about stings though as my step-father used to keep bees, was the secretary of his local association... but a over the last few years his reaction to stings became progressively worse until he had to give up his bees on medical recommendation.

I seems a very good idea to do everything possible to minimise stings - even if they don't seem too bad today - in case the body develops a strong reaction over time.

I've had three stings in my short (couple of months) beekeeping career. Twice on the hand through yellow marigolds and once on the leg, through light trousers. In each case it felt like a nettle sting at first and within a couple of hours there was nothing to feel or see.

I seems a very good idea to do everything possible to minimise stings - even if they don't seem too bad today - in case the body develops a strong reaction over time.

Number of good points.

a) I find that if I am stung through marigolds, I just get the tip of the sting - so I know I have been stung, but the effect is short lived. In other words it is negative reinforcement to handle bees better!

b) One of our older beeks is convinced that Ibuprofen increases the risk of a bad reaction. I have heard of this elsewhere as well. Does anybody know of any real science behind it?

c) I agree with Madasafish. In general, the softer the skin the worse the sting. Occasionally I trap bees in my elbow and that really swells. I am told that being stung in the "triangle" of the eyes and mouth is really bad news. Not found out yet, but did have a bee walk across my eyelids when I was getting a swarm (note to self; do not check out swarm while veil is on back of neck, you stand a good chance of getting company - albeit quite well behaved thank god!)

d) My GP refuses to give me an Epipen. His argument is that anaphylaxis horror stories are usually centred on peanut allergy sufferers who have eaten peanuts and have a swollen throat. Provided you do not get stung in the throat it is best to wait for the emergency services. I am not sure I am persuaded, but I gave up on the Epipen!

Sorry Madasafish

That's 2 and a half years of bites you have dosmissed so cavalierly.. I am miffed! :)

Apologies oh sacrificial one. I meant no disrespect - quite the opposite - I'm not so brave as to get stung so many times :rofl:

Latest posts

Back