Is this a tree bumbebee?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi bee experts. I'm taking more interest in all types of bees now.

This bee landed in lounge last weekend:

www.talkingwithbees.com/bumblebee

I have been told it might be a tree bumblebee, but the "tail" looks a bit more pointy than those I have found via google.

Thoughts very welcome.

Thanks.

Hi bee experts. I'm taking more interest in all types of bees now.

This bee landed in lounge last weekend:

www.talkingwithbees.com/bumblebee

I have been told it might be a tree bumblebee, but the "tail" looks a bit more pointy than those I have found via google.

Thoughts very welcome.

Thanks.

No, it isn't, get Saturday telegraph, whole section on tree bumble bees, has white bum but not with stripes
Ebee-smillie

Looks like tree bee to me - bombus hypnorum - tawny thorax, black abdomen and white tail.

They are popping up everywhere.
Eb

Bombus bohemicus (gypsy) has a very yellow thorax.

The ginger thorax is indicative of hypnorum.
Eb

2 say it is a tree bumblebee, 1 says not ... any more thoughts?

possibly a Gypsy cuckoo bee?

"Queens, workers and males all have a black head, brown-ginger thorax, black abdomen with a white tail. The proportion of white on the tail does vary significantly but is always present. This species was first found in the UK in 2001, but is now found throughout most of England and Wales. It prefers to nest above ground, often inhabiting bird boxes."

Tree bumblebee Bombus hypnorum

Bumblebee Conservation Trust http://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/identification/common-bumblebees/

Is that white? And is it ever banded? Might be Common carder bee Bombus pascuorum

"Queens, workers and males are almost completely brown or ginger. However, the shade varies significantly, depending on the location. Some have abdomens which are very dark, while the abdomens of others can be quite light. It is the only common UK bumblebee that is mostly brown or ginger."

Some of the gallery photos of Common Carders look very like yours, if a little lighter - the abdomen shape is more carder like, and that's going to vary less than the colouring.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curat...y_colour_british/ck_widespread.html#pascuorum

Last edited:
have moved 1 tit box this year with these bees in. another sparrow box to move later in week. moved 5 last year all to my allotment all seamed to do well.3 of these boxes taken over by birds this year.

Based on my own experience, it looks very much like B. Hypnorum / Tree Bumble Bee and not at all like B. Pascuorum / Common Carder. I'm assuming that the pointy tail is explained by the fact that the photo shows the bee from below and flying, rather than from above and resting which is how most of the identification charts show them.

I'm not an expert on bumbles and I'd be interested if anyone has a more authoritative answer.

Back