Is this a honey bee?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rink123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,
I am new to bee keeping and as yet I have non. In an old building where my brother works , there are thousands of these ,my brother says their nest is massive but I haven't seen it as it is high up and behind the wall you have to climb up to see it. Some of the bees are dying and some just lying down but loads going in and out and all around the entrance. Do you know if they are honey bees please? my brother is going to ask his boss if they can be removed.
I brought this one home to take its photo, she likes my hive;)

I am not convinced - claws appear larger/more obvious than I would expect for Apis Mellifera.

Happy to be corrected however.

From this angle, looks like a drone.. not sure.
But almost 99% honey bee.

Looks like one of mine....a long way from home !

rink123

To help with the correct identification:-
Is it possible to take a few more photos of these bees from different angles? Maybe collect a few of the FRESH dead ones -they are easier to pose!

Also, ask your brother exactly what the 'massive nest' looks like, and take a photo if possible.Have the just arrived there, or might they have been there a while and just not been noticed?

Hi thank you all for the speedy response, I have these photos {not very good} of the same bee before I set it free. My bro says the bees have lived there for 4 years or more ,he also said the nest is in a cavity the scaffolding people told him that. It is in a big old derelict building there maybe stairs another way around which I could investigate, its dark though. Would the bees attack me if I try and get photo's of the nest? cos they are all over the place. When I go back I will get some dead ones and post piccies

I was expecting mining bees as I was fooled by them earlier in the year but they have straight antennae and yours don't.

So until edumacated otherwise...honey bee.

Sam

Perhaps another way of asking the question is... what else could it be? Clearly a bee of some sort. Clearly not a bumble. If there are genuinely thusands, not a masonry or carpenter bee. Unlikely to be a mining bee if it's upstairs. I'm not enough of a naturalist to know all the options, but there must be someone on here who is. The crucial question would seem to be are there really thousands, or just a number buzzing about, which can look more.

I would guess that if there's more than 12 ..... they are honey bees...

Hi all,
I went back today to see if I could get some pictures , they are definately in the cavity . The building is falling apart and held up with scaffolding big holes every where and the bees are up 4 floors high . I couldn't get close enough but could see they have several entrances about six foot apart. I collect some dead ones and took photos

The original bee was certainly no drone and the left-most drone in the first picture of post #13 looks to have deformed wings, so likely a fair varroa load in there needing attended to.

Good luck with whatever you do.

:iagree:

rink123
Looking back at post #1, is see that you are hoping to collect these bees. Think carefully before you decide to try this. It would involve getting access to the cavity, cutting out combs, and dealing with clouds of angry bees, -so you would need the right kit. I wouldn't like to do it. There are easier ways to start beekeeping, unless you are determined to jump in at the deep end!

Rink,
My first hive retrieval was one in a 30" by 30" brick pillar. My buddy and I built a bee vacuum and suited up. We started before day light but still had a constant flow of bees from the field for the first hour. We started out trying to get as many as we could at the start and then started cutting the bricks. I was expecting a full attack. After 5 minutes of cutting with the suite on, the dust was so bad I had to take it off. I cut d3/4 of the way through 6 layers of bricks on 2 sides without opening it up. I suited back up and slowly opened the bricks still expecting a full attack. Never happened. We pulled 7 pounds of pure bees out of this 3 year old hive. The only sting I received was when I leaned my hand on the ground and crushed a bee. My buddy Jim got 4 stung on his left thumb from handling the comb and crushing bees. The Owner (I provided him with a Jacket and veil) who was afraid of bees at the start went from watching from afar to reaching into the hive to pick out comb. He got stung on the wrist from crushing a bee under the back of the glove and kept on working. Not all bees are this calm so bee careful. One lesson that I learned with brick was that the dust collected in the 1st vacuum box, I had 2 of them, and ended up either killing them or making them sic. Luckily I had 2 boxes because I lost 1/2 of them and the queen. Next time I would keep water flowing to keep the dust down and wash it off before opening up the bricks.
Jim

Thank you all
I cant cut the wall it is a listed building also I am not brave enough. I wondered if they would be likely to swarm or if they dont swarm could I put my hive nearby in the hope of them taking it as a new home?
Are all those white specs mites ? if so that is a little worrying :eek:

The pictures here are the ones that live in my loft are they bumble bees?
Thanks again everyone;)

Latest posts

Back