is the wait finally over?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes a local beek has just told me the same with his Keith.

Last edited:
Heres the answer!
http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream;sess=
Bob.
So looking ahead the 12th April should be all change.
But yet again this is only a forecast.......

Earlier than that!

I read that sequence as indicating a gale from the North overnight a week tomorrow, with the wind going round to the West across the whole country, by Wednesday 10th ...

It will be interesting to see how that forecast evolves during the next week.
But YES the end could be in sight!

Just in case you didn't know:

"Coldest Easter Sunday on record, Met Office confirms"

And just in case you'd forgotten:

"Average temperatures for this time of year are between 10C and 13C." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21988278

Seems they're great at keeping records - just not so good at forecasting future weather.

LJ

Seems they're great at keeping records - just not so good at forecasting future weather.

I agree, they are not much use in guessing what any future weather is going to be,despite all the wonderful equipment they have, but sometimes they come on the telly/radio and tell us what the weather was like the day before, and that is often reasonably accurate.

I agree, they are not much use in guessing what any future weather is going to be,despite all the wonderful equipment they have, but sometimes they come on the telly/radio and tell us what the weather was like the day before, and that is often reasonably accurate.

:icon_204-2:

Since Mr. Fish got it spectacularly wrong a few years back they are a might cautious with there forecasts.
They may as well junk all the hi tech stuff and use one these:

indian-weather-rock-forecast-1024x682.jpg

51Y0fbKreSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
DSC09551-weather-sign.jpg

Russell

They may as well junk all the hi tech stuff and use one these:

More accurate than the met office bunch, forcast cold september, no it was above average temperatures,so they tried the same forcast for Oct, wrong,then Nov,wrong,then December which after guessing enough times turned out partly correct, towards the end of the month.

From News.

The Met Office has admitted issuing advice to government that was "not helpful" during last year's remarkable switch in weather patterns.

The Met Office three-monthly outlook at the end of March stated: "The forecast for average UK rainfall slightly favours drier than average conditions for April-May-June, and slightly favours April being the driest of the three months."

A soul-searching Met Office analysis later confessed: "Given that April was the wettest since detailed records began in 1910 and the April-May-June quarter was also the wettest, this advice was not helpful."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21967190

More accurate than the met office bunch, forcast cold september, no it was above average temperatures,so they tried the same forcast for Oct, wrong,then Nov,wrong,then December which after guessing enough times turned out partly correct, towards the end of the month.

From News.

The Met Office has admitted issuing advice to government that was "not helpful" during last year's remarkable switch in weather patterns.

The Met Office three-monthly outlook at the end of March stated: "The forecast for average UK rainfall slightly favours drier than average conditions for April-May-June, and slightly favours April being the driest of the three months."

A soul-searching Met Office analysis later confessed: "Given that April was the wettest since detailed records began in 1910 and the April-May-June quarter was also the wettest, this advice was not helpful."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21967190

They're not on the same pay scheme as bankers by any chance?

Heres the answer!
http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream;sess=
Bob.
So looking ahead the 12th April should be all change.
But yet again this is only a forecast.......

Well the chaps with the expensive laptops have done another run, and *my* interpretation is that after a stormy next weekend (with gales from the north), the weather will break on Monday (maybe mid-Tuesday for NE Scotland). Should be quite mild by Wednesday.
And through the week, the mild westerlies even spread across beyond the Baltic ... giving us a relative heatwave, a fortnight from now.
It'll be interesting to see how that forecast evolves!

That's their calculation. / or at least my understanding of their charts - anyone interpret it differently?

And is anyone else going public with the details of their guess?

Last edited:
They're not on the same pay scheme as bankers by any chance?

Perhaps they should be on some incentive scheme, like performance linked wages, when they get it wrong they get no pay.

Looking good Darren, snow still here but slowing melting on hills. I've lost two so far, but hopefully that's the last. Bees out yesterday for about 20 mins cleansing no show today atcall, too cold. Missed you at Greenmount, Keith was good, see you later in year (when weather improves) Stephen

Got an apology to make to my bees.

They seemed surprisingly confused around lunchtime today.

I realised that, whilst yesterday I'd changed all the clocks in the house, I'd failed to alter the sundial next to the hive.

Doh!

Dusty

Well ... it could still be.

Looks like strong wind from the far north over the weekend (and Monday) followed by the wind going round to the west, with the result that next week we should be getting above 10C regularly.

But we stay in the cold air for the whole of this week ... http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream;sess=

Fascinating watching how the forecast is evolving, and "bits of weather" are still due to happen, but in a slightly different place or time.

Currently I read it as indicating two fair old gales from the North on Saturday and on Monday - with a decent Sunday sandwiched between - and the milder Westerlies establishing during Tuesday.
Looks like an 'Azores High' establishes itself during next week, which would give us a run of normal mild westerlies. Could be showery though! April might be arriving more conventionally.

Scroll through the chart to see how things are forecast to evolve (the time of the predicted chart is at its top right corner) http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream;sess=

Got an apology to make to my bees.

They seemed surprisingly confused around lunchtime today.

I realised that, whilst yesterday I'd changed all the clocks in the house, I'd failed to alter the sundial next to the hive.

Doh!

Dusty

Burnage as usual is about 300 years behind the times. I recommend a clock...with atomic timekeeping and radio setting so adjustment is not required.

(just like my cheap G Shock)

Burnage as usual is about 300 years behind the times. I recommend a clock...with atomic timekeeping and radio setting so adjustment is not required.

(just like my cheap G Shock)

How can you tell, their sundials don't go back that far?

Fascinating watching how the forecast is evolving, and "bits of weather" are still due to happen, but in a slightly different place or time.

Currently I read it as indicating two fair old gales from the North on Saturday and on Monday - with a decent Sunday sandwiched between - and the milder Westerlies establishing during Tuesday.
Looks like an 'Azores High' establishes itself during next week, which would give us a run of normal mild westerlies. Could be showery though! April might be arriving more conventionally.

Scroll through the chart to see how things are forecast to evolve (the time of the predicted chart is at its top right corner) http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream;sess=

Its evolving all right.
And its not looking so good for us.

Latest posts

Back