Is it too late..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystil

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
To feed sugar syrup?

We fed aload of sugar syrup in Aug/Sept and got them up to weight (hefting)but the weather has been so mild here that the bees are out flying collecting pollen still.

I have also seen drones around both hives last weekend (we know they do sometimes keep drones overwinter).

One of our hives has got abit light as a result (maybe increased brood production instead of stores?).

Can we feed sugar syrup or do we have to use fondant.
Got both just wanted to ask.

Cheers
Liza

If you believe the weather forecast of "Siberian" weather in the nest 2 weeks, then fondant for sure. Come to think of it, it's just to late to feed syrup.

I am still feeding syrup and they are taking it and I am in colder climes than you - so my advice is give them a little more (say 1 ltr) and keep a close eye (daily?) on what they take and give more as they do. Problem is opening up the boxes each time but if you are using Miller/Ashforth (or rapid feeders on top the crownboard), opening the hive is not a problem. Fondant is for Xmas/early Jan in conjunction with oxalic which is a must do.

Fondant is for Xmas/early Jan in conjunction with oxalic which is a must do.

I shall be doing neither, I hope/expect, so which bit is the must do, or have I just demonstrated the flaw in your advice?

IMO neither is a 'must do'. There are elements of choice, free-will and necessity involved in any decisions regarding these actions. Things like reporting AFB are 'must dos'. More than a subtle difference demonstrated, I hope.

RAB

I am still feeding syrup and they are taking it and I am in colder climes than you - so my advice is give them a little more (say 1 ltr) and keep a close eye (daily?) on what they take and give more as they do. Problem is opening up the boxes each time but if you are using Miller/Ashforth (or rapid feeders on top the crownboard), opening the hive is not a problem. Fondant is for Xmas/early Jan in conjunction with oxalic which is a must do.

Its not whether they are taking it or not it whether they can get the water content down enough so that it doesn't ferment and become toxic to the bees.

I'm still feeding because they need it and are slow taking it this year.

I shall be doing neither, I hope/expect, so which bit is the must do, or have I just demonstrated the flaw in your advice?

IMO neither is a 'must do'. There are elements of choice, free-will and necessity involved in any decisions regarding these actions. Things like reporting AFB are 'must dos'. More than a subtle difference demonstrated, I hope.

RAB

:iagree:

...and I've just given some syrup to three hives I've found to be a bit light.

Chris

The logic as far as I can see is that
1) Syrup is best for autumn feeding because the bees don't have to add water to it before they can eat/move it.

2) If you need to feed again to get them to spring without starving, then it should be fondant as they cant evaporate syrup down in cold weather.

3) As you've got the roof off for OA, you might as well give them some fondant.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that that seems to be the idea. Many would say heft, and give fondant if they are getting too light- which is likely to be a month or 2 later.

I've been topping up a few this week with Ambrosia syrup, but giving bees access to the whole feeder on a floating straw mat plus mixing in a few drops of lemongrass oil. They are still taking it but slower than a few weeks ago.

Which of course if it is thymolised, it won't.

Some of mine are still taking in 2:1 where they were ignoring it 2 weeks ago!
These are "small" colonies on 7 frames moved up from 5 frame nucs to std National brood boxes late in the year ..... now with room to store it!

I've been topping up a few this week with Ambrosia syrup, but giving bees access to the whole feeder on a floating straw mat plus mixing in a few drops of lemongrass oil. They are still taking it but slower than a few weeks ago.

Is Ambrosia inverted Chris?

Is Ambrosia inverted Chris?

Yes it is. There are 2 or 3 similar products on the market too. It's also a stronger mix than I can make with sugar so good for late feeding.
(Not that I like late feeding but as always some colonies don't keep the weight on).

Ambrosia (or similar) is the best answer for late feeding...
The Bees don t have to do much work to process it ....
And, it does nt ferment if left uncapped as far as I can see (4 years experience with it)
Also,As it does nt have to have the water content reduced it gets stored quicker.
And, best to use the "contact" type bucket feeders for late top ups....
N

Latest posts

Back