Is it possible to have two swarms (with two queens) close together

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
I noticed a swarm in my privet hedge on Tuesday afternoon- there seemed to be different clumps of bees. Very difficult to remove because of the hedge so cut out as much as possible and hived. A lot more bees than I initially thought. Next day lots more bees at the swarm site in a clump - removed again to put in the same hive - initially they seemed reluctant to go into the same hive, but this morning most have gone in. I liberally sprinkled freshly ground icing sugar on them to merge the smell as it had been more than 24 hours between the two lots. If there are two queens hopefully they will sort it out amongst themselves.
Louise

Quite possile.

Could be cast swarms (very lkely if small).

Bees tend to cluster at the same place time and time again (see a recent post on this?).

Last year I collected two swarms within about half a metre or less. Some weeks between them.

Read John Harding re this topic.

Regards, RAB

the first swarm to leave a hive is called the PRIME swarm and will leave with the old queen and some bees.

if there is a second or thrid queen apart from the one which is going to stay you can have CAST swarms which leave with very small amounts of bees

I collected a swarm a few years ago, witch had 2 Queens.
About an hour after I put them in new hive they swarmed.
Never did see that swarm again.

I collected a swarm a few years ago, witch had 2 Queens.
About an hour after I put them in new hive they swarmed.
Never did see that swarm again.

I collected masses of bees over three days from the one spot, the last few seemed to have dispersed this morning. The reluctant lot seemed to get over it and had gone into the hive by this morning. So far they have stayed hived but who knows what they will do next - the problem is now I have one hive two many - I don't want them, but if they stay and develop perhaps I can sell them on as a nuc!
Louise

Latest posts

Back