Is it me or.......

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Thought It would be safe to start this discussion seeing that the usual sneering troll isn't around at the moment to sabotage it.
Now I'm not one to be big on the mumbo jumbo etc. that follows any mention of ley lines and the like, but something I've noticed, especially at one apiary deserves discussion.
At this apiary in patricular, doesn't matter what type of bee, temperament, age of queen or whatever, when they are put on certain stands, it always goes the same way.
On stand one, usually sedate and placid bees, as soon as they are put there, change - piling out to meet you as soon as the truck arrives (not vicious, just a bleedin nuisance) Bees boiling up as soon as the crownboard is cracked, generally not being nice bees. Over the years I have moved some to different apiaries when the need has risen and as soon as they get there - lovely laid back bees again. yet, the next stand, just feet away (same background, facing the same direction) are always pussycats.
It's the same with another hive position there - whatever ends up on position 6 invariably produces shedloads of honey BUT are the devil's own bees. one colony which were fine before, when placed there became so bad, during one inspection were so bad they drew blood (still have the scars) and enveloped my veil so deeply I could not even see out to walk away - the only hive ever that I felt queasy at the thought of opening!! yet the hives each side only two feet apart are fine, no worries whatsoever.
And as for hive 8 - every hive that lands there ends up being a poorly one, however good the queen was on arriving.
Hive 9 however, last year filled ten supers.
Okay, this apiary, although one of the best producers has more strange quirks than other apiaries - wonder if it's anything to do with the sacred spring at Llandyfan at the bottom of the hill - a place that has been a continuous place of pilgrimage and worship since pagan times?

Last edited:
I'll send you a pair of my dowsing rods... with your ancestry you wll be a natural.. Usually the intersections of force lines provide favourable places to site hives .. conversely, perhaps there is something in that particular hive location that provides the opposite ?

As you know, I'm with Roger Pafterson on what impact force lines have on nature ... I don't have an explanation but somethings just occur and you have to see it to believe it.

Llandyfan church itself is strange - the well/spring is beside the church, as I said it was originally a pagan place of worship with the healing waters being drunk from a cup made out of a human skull (it is mentioned in my uncle Gomer's book that the practice (and the skull) persisted until the late eighteenth century. The original church, a 'chapel of ease' was mediaeval, then was taken over by non conformists in the late 18th early 19th centuries but during the time of the great schism when Methodists split from the independent (congregational)church there was fighting there every Sunday so the CofE took it back, in Victorian times the local wealthies the DeBuissons took down and rebuilt the church. Still a satellite church of Llandybie church it is now, obviously church in Wales so it has been Pagan, Celtic Christian, Catholic, CofE, dissenter,Methodist, Independent, CofE then Church in Wales.
The spring was walled in and a sluice added so it could be filled up for total immersion baptisms (although was never a Baptist chapel) and drains out under the road to a shallow pond opposite the church which used to have fantastic watercress. The spring is also the source of the river Gwyddfan which rund down parallel to the river Loughor and further down runds through the garden of Garn Cottage where I have another apiary.

Last edited:
There's more to why these places were so important to people for aeons than we currently undestand ... animals, humans and insects are drawn to certain places and you can sometimes (more so when dowsing) actually feel the power.

Makes a change not to have the tin hat on....

Last edited:
the whole area is steeped in mystery, not far away is a mediaeval homestead at Bryn y Beirdd (hill of the bards - the Welsh bards were also known as mystics) and on that farm there is an area known as beddau'r drudion - Druid's graves after a great battle that once took place there. My family have farmed that area since before the Normans arrived. one ancestor, 'the lord' Rhys (Rhys ap Gruffudd, prince of Deheubarth and prince of Wales) built a stone castle where Carreg Cennen castle now stands (and I have an apiary) another ancestor was the lord of Brynbeirdd - the farm is now known as Cwrt Brynbeirdd (Brynbeirdd court)

Clearly there's something in the water, the bees are drinking it and becoming totally confused as to what to believe.
Altogether weird. As Pargyle says there's so much we don't understand about our natural world.

The hive furthest to the right in the apiary in my garden always produces a lot of propolis, and is a sticky mess to inspect. When something goes to its right, the new one takes over the propolis production.

Philip, it may interest you that Mr Paterson is conducting an experiment with energy lines and swarms this year:)

If several dowsers, unbeknownst to each other, were asked to find ley lines in a field, would they find the same lines?
It seems a rather basic experiment to see if there is actually something there or not...

Philip, it may interest you that Mr Paterson is conducting an experiment with energy lines and swarms this year:)

I spoke to him when he did one of his talks at our association last winter (I've had a few conversations with him over the years) - he said he was going to site his bait boxes where he had found intersections as he was totally convinced they were settling in places where he then found energy lines .. it will be interesting to hear how he gets on. More so in what looks to be a very swarmy season !

I spoke to him when he did one of his talks at our association last winter (I've had a few conversations with him over the years) - he said he was going to site his bait boxes where he had found intersections as he was totally convinced they were settling in places where he then found energy lines .. it will be interesting to hear how he gets on. More so in what looks to be a very swarmy season !

Yes it will be interesting but I'm not convinced he'll get enough swarms to get a result.

If several dowsers, unbeknownst to each other, were asked to find ley lines in a field, would they find the same lines?
It seems a rather basic experiment to see if there is actually something there or not...

I've done it with a (very skeptical) friend in my garden .. I plotted on a plan where I had found energy lines ((I'm reluctant to call them leylines) and he was astounded when the rods crossed in exactly the same places as the lines that I found .. He had no pre-knowledge of where the lines I'd found were.

Try it for yourself .. all you really need is a pair of bent wire coat hangers and a skeptical friend - or I sell hand turned yew handled, copper coated dowsing rods ..inc postage .. for £6 a pair. Other dowsing rods are available - have a look in ebay.

I have one place on the stands where whatever sort if bee or hive is out there always does badly. There is some strange stuff about that we don’t understand.
Further along the field there is a semicircular area of grass by the hedge that never grows longer than a couple of inches. We’ve been here eight years. I think it’s time to morph into Time Team.

I once put my dowsing rods in the hands of a neighbouring gardener who said he hadn’t a clue on what it was, let alone how it worked. He was simply instructed to concentrate on holding the rods steady and level (two bent coat hangers in bic pen tubes) while walking forward very smoothly.

He was amazed when the rods tweaked and that was exactly where I had found a line (I set him up to find it, I suppose).

I had scribbled a diagram of where the line was and showed him my diagram after he noted the rods crossing. I had only told him there was at least one point across my garden which was ‘different’. He was astounded but I’ve never discussed it with him since. I will ask him if he remembers it next time I see him (if I remember!).

JBM,

With reference to ‘the usual sneering troll’ in your opening post - how long is the ban? Permanent, one might hope, but clearly not?

RAB

Latest posts

Back