Is celotex woodpecker proof?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Straw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I have a 5-sided celotex bonnet covering most of my hive. It comes down almost to the floor on all sides
I usually put wire netting over the hives at this time of year as protection against green woodpeckers. They are pretty active around here and make a big mess of a cedar brood box
Have others found that celotex is effective protection against woodpeckers or should I get the wire netting out as usual

Attachments

• IMG_1346.JPG
    IMG_1346.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1349.JPG
    IMG_1349.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 41
Surely they make holes to such hives.

I use concrete wire net to protect polyhives. Woodpecker makes one hole every day to some hive.

No greenies around here, just the spotted ones.
A magpie nest in the apiary that blew down had bits of insulation in it ......pinched from the lids stored in the animal shelter in the summer.
While we are talking about bonnets be aware that the foil degrades and the bonnet leaks. My Recticel ones have lasted only last winter and this one so far.
I have extra lids on them pending repair with ally tape when weather dries up.
Do those who paint theirs find they last longer?

I'm intrigued to know what concrete wire net looks like

Sorry, I invented a wrong name. in Finland it is plastering mesh. It is galvanized steel.
8015825008966_kuva1.jpg

Last edited:
One of my Hive bonnets has suffered minor bird damage this winterhttp://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=12659&stc=1&d=1453572314

Attachments

• IMG_20160109_131738699_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160109_131738699_HDR.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 48
No greenies around here, just the spotted ones.
A magpie nest in the apiary that blew down had bits of insulation in it ......pinched from the lids stored in the animal shelter in the summer.
While we are talking about bonnets be aware that the foil degrades and the bonnet leaks. My Recticel ones have lasted only last winter and this one so far.
I have extra lids on them pending repair with ally tape when weather dries up.
Do those who paint theirs find they last longer?

My celotex roofs are foiled and painted and three years old and thriving..

Yes....I suspected painting was the way to go.

My polyboxes went without holes 20 years, and then things started to happen.

I don't know whether I'm brave enough to ask finman what happened next ;)

milk bottle fixation

Now there's a thought.
I remember that from when I was little. The Blue Tits would steal the cream.
No bottles of milk have cream on top anymore so what are the Blue Tits after?

Yes....I suspected painting was the way to go.

My polyboxes went without holes 20 years, and then things started to happen.

I don't know whether I'm brave enough to ask finman what happened next ;)

Grey back woodpecker moved to my neighbourhood.

Is celotex woodpecker proof?

Is polystyrene @ 100kg/m^3 woodpecker proof?

Is celotex harder or softer than the above polystyrene?

Are either harder than wood?

If they can get a grip, sufficient to support themselves, they will be able to attack it, shirley?

Thick poly sheet laid from under the normal metal clad roof, down each side and secured such that there is no easy grip, work well to prevent 'pecker damage.

+1 .. My hive cosy/solar wax melter is into it's second winter outside and no sign of deterioration. It had a couple of coats of Shades 'lookalike' - not the real stuff - got it from Aldi for about half the price. I also tape all the cut edges with aluminium tape and over the joints and paint over those as well.

milk bottle fixation

Now there's a thought.
I remember that from when I was little. The Blue Tits would steal the cream.
No bottles of milk have cream on top anymore so what are the Blue Tits after?

The fatballs hanging on my bird feeder ! It was a regular occurrence to have the foil tops pierced in the morning by the time we got up .. milk was delivered about 4.00am in my childhood in Yorkshire. So much of a problem that my mum used to have a cup with a broken handle that the Milkman used to put over the top of the bottle to stop the little beggars.

When we had cold winters the milk would freeze and the frozen cream was pushed up out of the bottle with the foil lid on top - in the days before domestic fridges and freezers (Yes - for our younger members - there was life before refrigeration !) we kids used to look forward to a mid-winter 'ice cream'.

Latest posts

Back