Is anyone else flooded

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
just come back from one apiary and the water is rising fast

I often get asked why i have such high stands under my hives...just dont want any more ran for a while, even if it is officialy still a drought

Last edited:
Not much rain just wind which is unusual this neck of the woods but just checked your weather forecast and no rain tomorrow :party:

Is anyone else flooded

Almost spent most of the day watching the River Brent get higher and higher. Peaked now.

Stopped one boat drifting off down the cut as the mooring pins were almost pulled out. The fact that it was pushing against a boat in front of it held it back otherwise it would have gone.

Is anyone else flooded

Almost spent most of the day watching the River Brent get higher and higher. Peaked now.

Stopped one boat drifting off down the cut as the mooring pins were almost pulled out. The fact that it was pushing against a boat in front of it held it back otherwise it would have gone.

This apiary is in the catchment of the Dollis Brook that feeds into the Brent, so more is on the way

if you see a beehive float pass then it probably mine, The northern heights area seems to have had quite a lot of rain last night it's just working its way down to you

Last edited:
I have had just about everything else float past today but no hives as yet but will keep an eye out.

Mmmmmm will it fall into maritime salvage though:gnorsi:

If My apiary gets flooded my hives will be the least of my worries, overcrowding may be an issue though as most of Chesterfield and Mansfield will be several meters under water.

I found this on photobucket though, it looks rather like a disaster to me.

DSC02766.jpg

I think that is an apiary belonging to someone on here posted a while ago

If we're flooded at 200m...some of you will be in arks.

After having zero water for a total of 14 weeks last year, why did this have to come the week the water people came to fix things. What a waste of water pouring down the hill :S

I think that is an apiary belonging to someone on here posted a while ago

Looks similar to the picture Martin Adams posted on the BBKA forum in september 2008,hives flooded at the heather.

Everything on level ground outside was 2 or more inches deep in water today. The force of water was incredible to feel and see. Luckily none came into the house, and my only hive is on a nice slope, with absolutely NO chance of a flood.

I've only seen one bee in the last three days - she walked out of the entrance, and literally turned around and walked straight back in :smilielol5:

Muswell Metro

I see your hives are alongside a path.

Do you get any problems from the bees attacking people walking by or .......?

Muswell Metro

I see your hives are alongside a path.

Do you get any problems from the bees attacking people walking by or .......?

its an country house walled garden and the path is just ornamental, no one expect me uses it ( and another beekeeper), i am responsible for cutting the grass six foot from the path, the rest is cut by the farmer with tractor but to make sure the hives face to wards the wall (west and north)

main problem is herwick sheep getting on top of hives to eat the bushes/willow..hence hurdles.

Thanks, we have a couple where they said there were virtually no people walking.

Path is 25 -30 feet away to rear and side of hive and hive entrance is 12 feet above and overlooking, a fenced in area some 30 feet away and used occasionally.

Don't think they will cause any problems but time will tell. :)

Our flooding was only ankle deep in place we are in a bit of a dish geographically both streams full... two ish inches in 6 hours of rain... yeuch one hive was doing a bit of checking when i was doing my rounds a coupe of bees would appear then turn and head back to the warmth and comfort. it was YEUCH!!!

Latest posts

Back