is a super already needed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tindam188

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Last year was my first year beekeeping and as i only had one colony i made sure it was a strong one going into winter (double brood) but i have been shocked at the growth of the colony over the last few weeks (wondering if the queen did not stop laying through winter as there is lots of brood).

So the thing is that when i went today i expected a reasonable sized colony, but both brood boxes seem crammed with bees, i wanted to split early this year so i am thinking this is a good thing but is it normal to be thinking about adding supers this early?

im sure it is a silly question but i guess i am just surprised at growth

Blimey!
Which Yorkshire? UK?
It's said super at 7 or 8 but is there a flow this early?

Have you got sycamore yet?
Nothing here, Pussy willow on it's way but not much nectar wise.

Mine were working some heather cultivars planted in gardens down the lane :)
This borough (Thank God just beat the cutbacks) , have planted acres of crocus all around and had the good sense to hold back on their mowing program whilst they are in flower :)
VM

This borough (Thank God just beat the cutbacks) , have planted acres of crocus all around and had the good sense to hold back on their mowing program whilst they are in flower :)
VM

Graveyards are good for this.
There is a humungous plantation in a cemetery nearby but alas not near enough.

and though there does seems to be a slight flow of honey my main concern was the space not the amount of honey coming in

6 of brood in a double brood box? If that is the situation I myself would not be overly fretting about space.

PH

It is more likely that frames of stores will need to be exchanged for drawn comb or foundation. You already have the equivalent of a super on a 14 x12 at the present time. Think about that.

Is that communion wine your avatar is clutching,then?

lol.........I suppose (on a bee theme) it could actually be Buckfast.................their tonic wine is greatly loved by a certain class of gent around central Scotland.

Is that communion wine your avatar is clutching,then?

I think it must be. I took a picture of that particular bee in the avatar after I took away his honey. She got quite depressed, turned to drink, started snorting oxalic powder and went around giving everyone the finger. It's ok, she's dead now

I thought the point was ITLD those "gents and wifies" had no class....;)

PH

I think it must be. I took a picture of that particular bee in the avatar after I took away his honey. She got quite depressed, turned to drink, started snorting oxalic powder and went around giving everyone the finger. It's ok, she's dead now

:smilielol5:

Sorry to jump onto your thread but...

We've just checked and our bees are building comb out of one of the holes in the crown board.
Problem is all our supers are not drawn out yet (still foundation). They are bringing in loads of pollen and the hives are quite heavy.
Should we be thinking of supering?

FWIW my immediate answer is no.

How many frames of brood do they have? That is the critical piece of info.

PH

We've just checked and our bees are building comb out of one of the holes in the crown board.

I am simply surprised that there should be any holes open in the crownboard at all. It is not being used as a 'clearer board' (alternative use); if, as a feeder board, the feeder would cover the hole, surely? There lies the key to the problem - the warmest place in the hive is the leak to the roof space. Next stop is warming the atmosphere.

Should we be thinking of supering?

Not unless they need it. Of that, you give no indication at all. Zilch.

The simple way to stop them doing that (building comb through the hole) is to cover the holes.

Latest posts

Back