Introducing queen to queenless hive with a frame having queen cells drawn.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My hive referred to in the 'Queen cells torn down' thread has now fulfilled its role. I have now raised 6 queens and want to convert it to a queen right colony. I had placed a frame in on Sunday to work out if there was a virgin running around, which there was. She has been dispatched and I had another queen from a previous round finally start laying.

I want to introduce her to this queen less hive but am having a bit of trouble reconciling a few bits of advice I've read. I've had her next to the frame with the brood in a butler cage type thing but the bees are still drawing out emergency cells after I knocked them back.

1. Make sure there are no queen cells. ie I'm getting to a point that if they draw out the cells then they are likely to get capped before 7 days as the remaining larvae are getting older.

2. Don't open a hive with a newly introduced queen before 7 days because of the risk of the bees balling the queen.

The bees seem happy inspecting her through the box. Can I pull the tab and let them release her and then inspect for queen cells on the only viable frame in say 3 days time? I wouldn't touch any other frames. Do I just have to accept the risk?

Latest posts

Back