Introducing queen to Q- colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its.only.money

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi.

I have a queenless colony and also nuc with a laying queen that I wish to unite.

What is the best way of accomplishing this? Do I transfer the nuc to a broodbox, and then unite with newspaper, placing the queenless colony on top? Or is is best to use a queen cage and introduce the queen to the queenless colony on her own?

Thanks for your suggestions

Hi.

I have a queenless colony and also nuc with a laying queen that I wish to unite.

What is the best way of accomplishing this? Do I transfer the nuc to a broodbox, and then unite with newspaper, placing the queenless colony on top? Or is is best to use a queen cage and introduce the queen to the queenless colony on her own?

Yes but it makes no difference which way around you do it.. you need to be 100% certain you have no Queen or laying worker in the other colony.

Last edited:
Hi.

If the queenless colony is going to stay in situ then just transfer the nuc to a brood box and unite using the newspaper method with the queenright colony on top.

From one newbee to another plz check and double check the colony is Q- . I lost a beauty of a queen and learnt a valuble lesson the hard way. Pop a frame of eggs in first to see if they make q cells. If they dont then go ahead. Good luck.

From one newbee to another plz check and double check the colony is Q- . I lost a beauty of a queen and learnt a valuble lesson the hard way. Pop a frame of eggs in first to see if they make q cells. If they dont then go ahead. Good luck.

I thought it was other way round if they don't then there's a queen and don't unite with a queen right nuc???

Pop a frame of eggs in first to see if they make q cells. If they dont
........ it means nothing, although it would caution the beekeeper into thinking there may already be a queen in there, which is a surefire way of losing a nice new expensive queen.

Oops that read to me the right way round when typing but reading back yes the wrong way round. :sorry:

Latest posts

Back