Insurance - Hive theft or Bee theft

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezer

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Hi all,

I have been looking for some insurance that would cover theft of bees or hives, or both - nothing suitable so far.

I thought NFU might be the ideal company but they're a bit woolly.

Any ideas or facts anybody please.

Thanks I was gaining that impression as they tried to loop me in to insurance that didn't actually give me the cover I asked for.

"It would probably be all right if you had any problems" was the answer. I'm sure that would look pretty lame on the claim form.

only scheme i have ever heard of is the SBKA hive in scotland only scheme which appears to be a mutual society insurance

http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk/services/html/insurance.html

but they i think use alliance for third party not bkka

Thanks for that but, while we did consider moving to Scotland, the midges put an end to my wife's enthusiasm for another of my bright ideas of boat-building, sailing, living by the sea, burning driftwood, living off the land and sea while, on long winter nights discussing little else but the weather and oil-based perfumes.

We do it in the SW instead, not the oil-based perfumes, but have to work some to support the dream. :)

Sounds good BBG!

Will try looking in to insurance, thanks MM and Hedgerow. Must be some company to do this.

The NFU will not be interested.

PH

I got a full business quote from NFU that would cover beehive theft, i didn't go for it because it was £700/yr in hinesight i should have as i had 12 hives stolen in the summer. But i doubt you will get straight hive theft insurance.

C B

I asked the NFU straight on for disease insurance and they were point blank not interested.

PH

You can get insurance through your local BKA can't you?

No one bothers to get 'unsecured agricultural equipment' insured because the permiums are invariably too high. More pragmatic to replace any kit that gets stolen.

Yeah have to agree that most "niche" insurance usually costs a fortune as so little people actually get it. Is Queen theft actually that common? You got me a little worried now.

Latest posts

Back