Insulation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I am?

I am on soffa and I look TV.
Place is Helsinki.

Strong wind. A little bit snowing. -4C.
Terrible weather.
I feel for you ...lovely spring morning over here in my neck of the woods, not quite sunny but nudging 10 degrees aleady and my bees are already out and about ... all hives flying.

Excellent comment! I do not insulate mine during winter, but I do in the spring. Isn't that odd or what? By not wrapping in winter, my girls do not consume as much winter store as it gets cold. Yet in the spring I even close the vent so as to increase the moisture content inside the hive to kick start brood rearing, having closed the screened bottom.
At the risk of prolonging this thread even further past its sell by date ...you need to read the rest of this thread and consider whether what you said above is right ... keeping them cold does not make them consume less stores ... it does the opposite., Even this bloke on your side of the pond has the right idea about insulation ...

Even if he did lose all his bees over winter and got just about everything else wrong ...

. keeping them cold does not make them consume less stores ...

To me the winter food cost is £ 12.
Half of this food is consumed inbspring, when the hive starts to rear brood and rise the hive temperature from 23C to 35C. And it is not merely heat. It is mass of brood, what bees are producing.

Bees consume stores that the colony stays alive and it wants to rear brood as soon as they get pollen in spring.

Why heck the beekeeper want to make them consume less sugar, kg price is 50 cents.

Ok... get those hollow tree trunks to your back yeard. You cannot get better insulation.

At the risk of prolonging this thread even further past its sell by date ...you need to read the rest of this thread and consider whether what you said above is right ... keeping them cold does not make them consume less stores ... it does the opposite., Even this bloke on your side of the pond has the right idea about insulation ...

Even if he did lose all his bees over winter and got just about everything else wrong ...

Thank you, but I did read the optimum temp on the thread, which seems different from Canadian INDOOR optimum temp which ranges around 44-46 F. That's ambient Temp.

Aldi's in America sells 4 lbs sugar at nearly $2.00. No beekeeper will change what he/she does by reading stuff on here except for the intelligent. M Twain once said, people heard the wise advice given by the old man and then went home, and practiced the exact opposite!

Thank you, but I did read the optimum temp on the thread, which seems different from Canadian INDOOR optimum temp which ranges around 44-46 F. That's ambient Temp.

Yes but the hives go well outside if hives are insulated.

Main goal in beekeeping is to get good honey yields.

To optimize ambient temperature is nothing goal, becaus you cannot do it.

Well, low conduption, but wgat is the cost of wintering cellar.

And this is an UK beekeekeeping forum. How many of them are going to to build wintering cellar on their backyard.

This discussion is mere nonsense.

Aldi's in America sells 4 lbs sugar at nearly $2.00. No beekeeper will change what he/she does by reading stuff on here except for the intelligent. M Twain once said, people heard the wise advice given by the old man and then went home, and practiced the exact opposite!

And in Michigan area beekeepers do not use insulated hives. That is why university recommends that use 3 langstroth box and feed 50 kg sugar for winter.

When I was in Beemasters forum, California beekeepers adviced Michigan beekeepers that no insulation is needed . Mad gang. That is only what I can say.

Exactamente Bro. My point also was that warmth in winter is no good

What heck are you talking Bro. The honey bee has arrived to Europe from Africa. There are series of different climates between Finnish taiga and Sahara desert.

Almost all hives are Insulated in Finland.
I know that no hive in Finland is too hot in Finland.

Bees must rest because there is no flowers and food in nature from September to April.

I add electrict heating to my hives In April, and hives will not be too warm or hot.

Bees use to control the hive temperature by heating and ventilating and carrying cooling water.

Was talking about food consumption during winter and not keeping them alive, as you do. Mellifera comes from Mediterranean just as Carnis are from Yugoslavian region.

Welcome to the forum, which I see you joined yesterday. You seem to have gone immediately into "high frequency broadcast mode" though. Are you sure you don't want to do a bit of listening first? Just a thought.

I stopped reading this thread 4 pages ago.
Started again this morning and regretted it

Beekeepers who do not know bees use their wing muscles to heat hives., beekeepers posting misleading charts and what appears total ignorance of basic physics .

I won't bother reading the rubbish again.

Mike (BSC Physics)

Welcome to the forum, which I see you joined yesterday. You seem to have gone immediately into "high frequency broadcast mode" though. Are you sure you don't want to do a bit of listening first? Just a thought.
Don't know how long you have kept the bees. Sure, I joined yesterday, sick of another forum across the pond. I am a bee researcher with a Ph. D. Chill. My researches have been treatment free against V. mites and SHB longer than 20 years, a controversial topic I will not bring here. I bet I kept bees longer than you have. No offense. Here is my website dedicated saving bees.

Most of my postings are on Bee-L.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was talking about food consumption during winter and not keeping them alive, as you do. Mellifera comes from Mediterranean just as Carnis are from Yugoslavian region.

Don't teach duck to swim.
However, waste of time with you.

Melliferas comes from Africa. Carnica and Italian races are the closest genetic relatives

10 000 years ago the whole Europe was tundra down to Mediterranean north side.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back